Thread: Start Revit Without Template

Login to Give a bone

Default Start Revit Without Template

Can Revit startup without a template? I deleted the line from Revit.ini but an error pops up on screen.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Start Revit Without Template

rename default.rte to something else. Create a new project, selecting the template as none. Save project as default.rte and save into the Template subdirectory.

Login to Give a bone

I like to have Revit open initially without a template, but still have our office template available when I click on the "New" button at the top left of the screen. I did that by making a "splash screen" project, which was a blank project showing only a drafting view with my company's logo. Then I changed my desktop shortcut to point to that small project file instead of the Revit.exe file.

The only times I've had problems with this is when installing a new version while keeping the previous version installed on my machine. Sometimes when opening the splash screen file, it would open the old version of Revit instead of the latest one.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tmomeyer View Post
    Can Revit startup without a template? I deleted the line from Revit.ini but an error pops up on screen.
    Ther is not a way to open Revit without a project opening. It has to have some kind of project open on launch.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Here is how thing have been set up at my firm (compliments if Cyril at CDV Systems).

We did not want our office template to open up with Revit becuase it can take a while to load and this gets old after a while. So we created two templates.

One is called Architectural Template, and is the standard office template file (30 meg). The other is called Introduction and is about 1 meg, this is the file that opens automatically with Revit.

The introduction template is a pugred file with almost nothing in it except for some text in the only view in the file. The view has a Jpg of out company logo, and below that in very large font is says something like "THIS IS NOT THE OFFICE TEMPLATE". Underneither are some instructions. See the attached image.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tim.101799 View Post
    The introduction template is a pugred file with almost nothing in it except for some text in the only view in the file. The view has a Jpg of out company logo, and below that in very large font is says something like "THIS IS NOT THE OFFICE TEMPLATE". Underneither are some instructions. See the attached image.
    Thank you, we're just getting started on Revit and this looks terrific!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    Ther is not a way to open Revit without a project opening. It has to have some kind of project open on launch.
    Any chance of getting a check option in the Options so we can decide? 99% of the time I want to open an existing file after starting Revit, but have to wait for the initial template load.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Smith View Post
    Any chance of getting a check option in the Options so we can decide? 99% of the time I want to open an existing file after starting Revit, but have to wait for the initial template load.
    I am with you on this one Chad. Functionality similiar to what you have described has been logged with development for consideration in a future release fo Revit.

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I like the vanilla template: nothing predefined, total freedom.
    Then again, I'm a template builder. We need to have standards, and it's my job to push them to the people I work with.
    Most people here have desktop shortcuts to their projects and start Revit by opening the project file. If they need to start a new project, they know where to find the template. It's my job to keep it up-to-date and handle feedback.