Thread: Retaining Size, Location of Dockable Windows

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Retaining Size, Location of Dockable Windows

I've struggled for months to retain the size & locations of various Dockable Windows to the particular workspaces I've set up by opening each Dockable Window, make it floating (uncheck Allow Docking), sizing it (making it larger than default size), locating it on the screen where I want it in a floating state, closing it, and finally "Save Current As" in the Workspaces Toolbar, overwriting each of my existing Workspaces. But when I close the .dwg & re-open it, the settings are lost. The CUI dialog states in the Properties Pane for a particular Dockable Window for a particular workspace, that a value of 0 for the size property of a Dockable Window (Palette) equals "Do Not Change" (size of Palette). Do not change from what? The last saved size?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Retaining Size, Location of Dockable Windows

Quote Originally Posted by rbdome View Post
    I've struggled for months to retain the size & locations of various Dockable Windows to the particular workspaces I've set up by opening each Dockable Window, make it floating (uncheck Allow Docking), sizing it (making it larger than default size), locating it on the screen where I want it in a floating state, closing it, and finally "Save Current As" in the Workspaces Toolbar, overwriting each of my existing Workspaces. But when I close the .dwg & re-open it, the settings are lost. The CUI dialog states in the Properties Pane for a particular Dockable Window for a particular workspace, that a value of 0 for the size property of a Dockable Window (Palette) equals "Do Not Change" (size of Palette). Do not change from what? The last saved size?
    Go to CUI => select Workspace => on Workspace Contents tab select Customize Workspace button => Palettes. Modify => select Done button => Apply => Ok.

If in your Workspace Settings you have "Automatically save workspace settings" under "When switching workspaces" set you should be able to modify one switch workspaces modify that one switch workspaces again etc...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rbdome View Post
    ... The CUI dialog states in the Properties Pane for a particular Dockable Window for a particular workspace, that a value of 0 for the size property of a Dockable Window (Palette) equals "Do Not Change" (size of Palette). Do not change from what? The last saved size?
    That is correct. If your palettes are in locations and at sizes you never want changed, from workspace to workspace, that is the desired setting. It means that whenever the workspace is restored, it will not change the palette's location or size.

However, there is certainly a bug that sometimes causes a palette to close, despite the setting of "Do not change". I've been working with Autodesk for over a year, trying to isolate the cause of this bug.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Retaining Size, Location of Dockable Windows

I've used all the procedures advised; my problem could be due to the "bug" Robert G. refers to. Again, my question: "Do Not Change" means what exactly?

Login to Give a bone

It means "do not change this property when loading this workspace". For instance, if a palette's visiblilty is set to "Do not change" in all your workspaces, when you switch a workspace, the palette's visibilty won't be changed. If it was visible, it will still be visible. If it was not visible, it won't be turned on.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.