Thread: Converting Imperial to Metric

Login to Give a bone

Question Converting Imperial to Metric

Is it possible to convert imperial wide flanges to metric wide flanges? We have a project that requires metric units and since we are not well versed in metric it would be nice to design the project in imperial units and sizes and convert to metric. Dimensions are easy to convert, what about steel sizes?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Converting Imperial to Metric

Quote Originally Posted by jbrazier View Post
    Is it possible to convert imperial wide flanges to metric wide flanges? We have a project that requires metric units and since we are not well versed in metric it would be nice to design the project in imperial units and sizes and convert to metric. Dimensions are easy to convert, what about steel sizes?
    Hmm...

If the project is going to be metric because it is going to be constructed in a country that uses the metric system, then the beam sizes will have to be sized in metric. Is your firm doing the structural design calculations as well? Or just the drafting and/or coordination? Or is there a different structural engineer that will give you the correct metric size?

The reason why I ask, is that if your project units are imperial, no matter which w-flanges you use, they will show in imperial (the name remains the name, but the actual size will follow the project units). so, no matter what w-flange you use, someone will have to go through the whole set and substitute the imperial wide flange with the metric one.

Did I answer your question? Again, if your project is set to imperial, then, no matter what wide-flange you use, the actual dimension that is in the database is imperial. When the project units are changed from imperial to metric, then the wide-flanges dimensions will be in metric (but not the actual wide-flange type) But since this doesn't make sense, each wide-flange will need to be substituted with a correct metric wide-flange,

If the design of the steel is accurate, then one can "select all instances" of an imperial w-flange and substitute it with the correct metric one.....until all the framing members are substituted....the nice thing, is that if you have them tagged, the correct info will be displayed after the substitution. (the same principle would be for any family component)

Take care,

Luigi

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your input. What I was hoping to find was something in the way of automated conversion, otherwise we have to be concerned with manually changing sizes. I thought with a program so powerful this might be possible.

Login to Give a bone

I am sorry...still confused

The program will easily convert metric to imperial to metric on fly...

The issue is that an imperial (I am assuming USA) wide flange has a designation of Depth in inches and in metric you are not going to find a direct size....since it is about standard members...

In metric, are we talking about the "universal beam"? or a different type? Who will make a decision, the program or the designer if an imperial beam size is close to 2 metric beams(since you will never get an exact conversion...it will be an aproximation)...which direction should it go? by weight, or by depth? What if the main designer wants a maximum depth, but the flange in metric is a bit smaller than the imperial, but a bit deeper as well, and the weight is negligiable....should "revit" choose the deeper one or the shallower one...?

Sorry...it sounds weird for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrazier View Post
    Thanks for your input. What I was hoping to find was something in the way of automated conversion, otherwise we have to be concerned with manually changing sizes. I thought with a program so powerful this might be possible.