Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Invisible line - thickness control....

Default Re: Invisible line - thickness control....

Quote Originally Posted by Martin P
    This will show exactly the problem I still have with wiping out a part of a line with a detail family etc.....
    The intended method of erasing part of a wall component is to use the Edit Cut Profile tool (just to the left of the Demolish tool in the tool bar). To erase one bit of the wall component sketch two horizontal lines, and make sure that the arrow points toward the part you want to keep. To erase lots of repeating portions, while editing the sketch select the two horizontal lines and use Copy with Multiple checked. This isn't as convenient as the repeating detail solution, but it will correctly erase the parts of the wall you need erased while leaving the rest.

AUGI Addict

Quote Originally Posted by irwin
    This isn't as convenient as the repeating detail solution, but it will correctly erase the parts of the wall you need erased while leaving the rest.
    No, not quite as convienant LOL - might take me just a wee bit longer to do

The white line method works fine in Revit no question of that, it only causes me problems with Autocad exports.Cant we simply make white lines and white solid fills in Revit (though fills are fine now as we can use the "no colour" instead of white) export onto autocads defpoints layer - or a separate layer from all other detail lines that can be switched off, or set not to print? that would be a very simple solution, I cant imagine a situation when anyone would want a white line in Revit which does not print out - to then print out in Autocad. And thank you for looking at the file posted
    Last edited by Martin P; 2004-08-13 at 09:59 AM.

I could stop if I wanted to Cathy Hadley's Avatar

I know I'm late on this thread, but have to give the Edit cut Profile a big thumbs up. I just did my first set of CD's with *revit detailing* and it worked GREAT !!! quick, clean and SWEAT... gives you the control you need in detailing... be aware tho... sometimes you have to cut two profiles since you are actually cutting faces...

AUGI Addict

there is no question that it can be useful tool.

Revit is supposed to be fully compatible exporting to Autocad. with regards to white lines it is clearly not.

We have a situation where lines that do not print out in Revit do print out in Autocad exports - In my eyes this is a problem, I am suprised that nobody else seems to want to acknowledge this.
    Last edited by Martin P; 2004-08-18 at 07:29 AM.

This whole white line thing is AutoCAD's problem.

They came out in Acad 2004 and said you now have 16 million collors. Great, I thought. I can now use white as a masking tool. Nope. Black is black and White is white. We got shorted a color and only have 15,999,999 colors.

Fix AutoCAD - not Revit.

AUGI Addict

Well I dont mind which piece of software gets altered to fix it but it is a problem for me either way. Autocad/Revit - I dont care, I use both of them and this causes me a headache.

I can see that it might be difficult as there are 2 lines involved - my white line and the one under it, dont know what the solution is - but I cant use "edit cut profile" in a detail component, and it is not practical to do it manually at every instance of a detail component. So I use white lines as wipeouts, I am certain I am not alone in doing this.

Peter J posted a possible soultion using a fiiled region with invisble line extending beyond the width of the line I wanted to wipeout - only problem was that I could accidentally snap to the invisible line when dimensioning - remove snapping to invisible lines - problem solved, why would I want to dimension to an invisible line anyway?
    Last edited by Martin P; 2004-08-18 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin P
    why would I want to dimension to an invisible line anyway?
    In case Claude Rains was working with you, or perhaps you needed to dimension a point at the intersection of two curtain walls that tended to move around.....

AUGI Addict

Ah yes, but then I could use a short white line!!

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

In the case of curved walls cut in sections, you can't dimension to the wall. So we created a little symbol family with invisible lines that you drop on top of a wall. Then you can dimension to the invisible line over the wall. It's parametric so you can change the distance the two parallel lines are apart.

AUGI Addict

I think I am going to give up on this thread.... its starting to wander a bit.
    Last edited by Martin P; 2004-08-19 at 03:58 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234