View Poll Results: Do you have any Cad related Certification?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

20 28.57%
  • no

48 68.57%
  • type

2 2.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Certification

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Certification

Hello to all in the Cad World,

I have been doing Cad since the second release of AutoCAD and I have been a Cad Manager since 1985. Can any one tell me if there any CADD Manager Certification available.

I have and Architectural Degree but what I do is Cad and CAFM Management. I am also working with Rivet and have seen some information on BIM Managers.

I am a CFM Certified Facility Manager and I am trying to validate my responsibilities by being certified in all my areas of responsibility.

Dose Autodesk have certification for Cad Managers, CAFM or BIM Managers.

Thank you

See you at AU 2007

Português - Programação Moderator Filipe Francisco's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Certification

I Don't have have certification, the Autocad certification only exists in USA, not in Portugal

Maybe some day

Cheers

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I think you need to define "certification" lol As has been mentioned in other related posts, there are different types of certification out there, and what one defines as being certified by a local school, is certainly NOT the same as being certified by Autodesk. I have taught AutoCAD at multiple educational facilities and one school provided a "Certificate of Completion" w/ their name on it. Woohoo, but those students now feel that they are certified. I'm not trying to discount anyone out there who has this type of certificate, but some schools give students a certificate just for showing up in class 80% of the time. There's no testing, and no proof that the student "got it" Granted this typically is for non-credited classes that meet some criteria defined by the school, but it doesn't necessarily mean the student truly knows the software.

I also taught for another school that went to the trouble and expense of becoming an ATC (Autodesk Training Center) which means the school AND instructors are "supposed" to meet certain criteria defined by Autodesk, but here again, if the student shows up for 80% of the classes, he/she can still walk away w/ a certificate, albeit w/ Autodesk's name on it, but what does that really mean?

Then there is the type of certificate that you get from a VAR (reseller). I've worked for three of these organizations over my career and they all provide their students a Certificate of Completion from Autodesk w/ your name and course title on it, but it doesn't mean anything in the real world! All that says is you attended the class...big whoop! Did you get it? Who knows! Are you proficient? Probably not yet!

Now, as an AE (Application Engineer) on the other side of the fence working for a VAR , I had to pass a PSE (Product Support Exam I think?) for each product that I supported. This meant that I literally had to sit down at the computer and take a 100-question multiple-choice test and pass w/ 85%(?) or better. This process was the most stressful thing in my life when I first started in that capacity. And, because Autodesk charged $100 for the testing, if I did not pass the money came out of my pocket! Otherwise the VAR picked up the tab. Anyway, once I passed I received a certificate from Autodesk that truly meant something (in my mind at least) and allowed me to provide technical support for the product. To that end, I now use these certificates as proof that I at least know "something" about the software when I talk to potential employers, at least by Autodesk standards, and as a result chose "YES" in your poll. I should also mention that Autodesk now requires AE's to pass these PSE's annually, for every version of the products they support! Can you imagine the stress? However, this forces the techs to stay current and up w/ the changes in the software, but once again, this is by no means proof that you can use the software efficiently for production in the real world.

For the average user though, I'm not sure what truly exists in regards to certification by Autodesk these days. I know they have reintroduced certification for ADT and Inventor users, but I haven't heard of anything for the rest of us. I heard there may be some sort of Civil 3D testing, but I'm not a civil guy and am not sure. In past years, there were AutoCAD Level 1 and 2 Certification Exams available from Autodesk that you could take at an authorized location. You had to pay for the testing and a proxy was required to make sure there was no cheating. I looked into this for my own satisfaction and bought an official Study Guide from Autodesk, but could never decide whether or not the cost and trouble was worth it to me. My question was always "What will this truly do for me and my career?" I asked myself the same question regarding obtaining (CD) Certified Drafter status from the American Design Drafting Association (ADDA) as well, but that's another topic.

So, in regards to your basic question about certification, the answer is yes and no...depends on what you are looking for. If you do in fact learn of additional means of Autodesk certification that carries some weight, I'd definitely be interested in hearing about it, but for now don't get your hopes up. For 20+ years now I have been fighting w/ employers and potential employers to prove my worth and unfortunately there is no industry standard way of comparing one to another That's why som many employers TEST their candidates, and for good reason!

For what it's all worth, I hope this helps to some degree. Good luck.

Login to Give a bone

I answered "no" on your poll. I have been running a CAD station since R14 (this includes time in high school and college). I received an Associate's Degree from Eastern Maine Tech. College in the Computer Adied Drafting & Design program (graduated at the head of my class), but I definitely do not consider myself "certified" by any means. I like to think that I have a great understanding and respect for the program, as well as general drafting criteria and standards. However, the frustrating part of the certification process is that even if one were to study, take the test, and pass it, the odds of making more money than someone or having a better chance at a job position compared to someone who isn't certified, would be slim to none IMHO... Unfortunately not enough emphasis is placed on this like is placed on other diciplines like engineering (earning your Professional Engineer's license) or a master's in any other field. As was said in the previous post, there were people that I graduated that program with that showed up half the time and put in half the effort, yet still have the certification that I do...

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have certification from a technical school for running AutoCad since release 13.

I do not think the certification matters much. Anyone entering a Cad position
    should be hired on a probationary basis. Once you take the job you have a
    period of time to prove what you are actually worth. Make it or break it.

Login to Give a bone

I have an Associates' Degree in "Technical Graphics and Design Technology" from our local community college. Not necessarily an Autodesk Certification.

I have heard of taking an AutoCAD test to be certified, but I don't know of any one who's ever done it. One of my instructors offered classes on taking that test and what to expect when taking it.

Not having AutoCAD certification is not a "deal breaker" for jobs around where I live (to my knowlege). As long as you can do your job, you'll have no problems.

Português - Programação Moderator Filipe Francisco's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Hall View Post
    I do not think the certification matters much. Anyone entering a Cad position
    should be hired on a probationary basis. Once you take the job you have a
    period of time to prove what you are actually worth. Make it or break it.
    That is the most important, but in some cases the certification helps.

When I talk about AutoCAD certifications I think that sould be like "Microsoft /Cisco / Adobe certifications" (exams in centers, valid in all world, not a certificate of completion). The Autodesk needs to think about it

that my point of view

Cheers to all

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ksturner View Post
    Hello to all in the Cad World,

I have been doing Cad since the second release of AutoCAD and I have been a Cad Manager since 1985. Can any one tell me if there any CADD Manager Certification available.

I have and Architectural Degree but what I do is Cad and CAFM Management. I am also working with Rivet and have seen some information on BIM Managers.

I am a CFM Certified Facility Manager and I am trying to validate my responsibilities by being certified in all my areas of responsibility.

Dose Autodesk have certification for Cad Managers, CAFM or BIM Managers.

Thank you

See you at AU 2007
    I'm not sure if you got the answer you were looking for, but I stumbled on this link today http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112. As you can see, Autodesk has apparently revived the certification process to something similar to what I remember back in the R12 and R13 days. As I had mentioned in a previous post, there is definitely an Inventor and Architectural Desktop certification available, but I was also able to confirm that they have a Civil 3D certification, as well as plain AutoCAD in both USER and EXPERT forms. This is all news to me, but there is definitely plenty of information on the site about getting certified for those who are interested. This link http://autodesk.starttest.com/ lists the products and prices.

All AUGI, all the time Richard.Kent's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I am Certifiable but I don't have a Certification.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Certification

if you like to check this website, provides certification for instructors as well for users: www.certification.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast