Thread: Error When Opening a file???

Login to Give a bone

Angry Error When Opening a file???

Maybe I'm missing something really basic here, but I'm using Revit Architecture 2008 and when I Double click on a .rvt file to open it, Revit launches, but I get an error that pops up saying

"Windows cannot find '(the location of my file here).' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

Anybody else experienced this or have any idea how I might be able to fix it?

Thanks!

Kelli

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Error When Opening a file???

It happened to me a few times, just fire up Revit then open the file.

Login to Give a bone

Sounds like Windows has lost the file association with Revit...

Generally to fix this sort of thing, in Windows explorer, right-click a Revit file and select Properties, click the Change button across from 'Opens with', and then, if not in the provided list, choose Select the program from a list and navigate to the Revit.exe folder.

Login to Give a bone

I have the same problem and have never found a solution to it other than open Revit first and then double-click on the file.

The program association is correct for *.rvt files so it's not that either. And it only happens on one or two machines in our studio so it's not something I can repeat uniformally on all machines in the same environment. I've wondered if this has anything to do with the "file locations" setting under the 'options' menu but the only thing I've changed there is the location (and name) of the template location.

It's not a big deal but since I open almost all other files by simply double-clicking on them it is a hard habit to get out of. I wish I could figure out what is different about my particular Revit installation/configuration that is causing the problem.

Thanks for any comments or solutions.

Dean

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Do you have both 2008 and 9.1 installed on your machine? I had this happen too, but the little problem dissapeared when I uninstalled 9.1.

Login to Give a bone

Hmmm........ that's a good thought but unfortunately I only have Acad 2008 and Revit 2008 installed on this machine.

It is an experience I've had at least since Revit 9 and maybe even R8.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully I'll find a solution out there at some point........

Login to Give a bone

If you are comfortable using Regedit (Start->Run->Regedit) have a look under
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

for the .rvt file association

Mine says Revit.Project against the entry Default

Login to Give a bone

I get that all the time. So I open up Revit then file open the relevant job file, as suggested above. Quite scary the first time, eh?

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have Revit in the tartup folder for my PC, along with my e-mail program.
    From there I can browse to wherever I want.

...but yeah, no point in totally ignoring the issue. You can right-click a Revit file, and you'll find an option to select a program to open the file with (no idea what it's called in English since I use Windows in Dutch language). You then select the program as default application for that file type (check box) and the file type association should be restored.

Windows system management 101

Login to Give a bone

Thing is, I know the file association is correct (even looking through the registry). When you get the message its not as if Revit isn't trying to open at the same time. It is and does open but gets stuck because you get the error message in your "My Computer" window. After you go back to the "My Computer" window the error message is there (not in Revit) and once closed - it's the only option available - Revit is open and functional but it just doesn't have the file open that you double-clicked on. If you then double click on it again it will open just fine.

Also, once you have operated Revit using the above method and closed it you are able to double click on the file (or any Revit file) and have the file open normally. It seems to happen only after the 'first' time you try opening Revit (after having booted up or rebooted).

Thanks for your thoughts. Funny thing is it sounds like this happens to quite a few users and most people just ignore it. I wonder if the factory has been working on this?

Dean