Thread: How to Rotate Text on Query

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default How to Rotate Text on Query

I want to bring the text into MAP with attributes including the angle, which is the easy part. The only thing I have yet to figure out is how to auto rotate the text so it comes in at specified angle. Any ideas are apprecitated.

FYI- I have attribute blocks in MAP that I want to convert to Text to use in other applications. So I want to bring the text back into MAP.

Jim

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to Rotate Text on Query

I may be way off here, but are you using an annotation template?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I am not versed on Annotation in CAD, but have used ACAD for ten years so know what I need to. Never used a template. Is that a good thing to do? Forgot to mention that I have a field that contains the degree of rotation.

Jim

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jim.dahl View Post
    I want to bring the text into MAP with attributes including the angle, which is the easy part. The only thing I have yet to figure out is how to auto rotate the text so it comes in at specified angle. Any ideas are apprecitated.

FYI- I have attribute blocks in MAP that I want to convert to Text to use in other applications. So I want to bring the text back into MAP.

Jim
    Do I read this right?

You have blocks with attributes that are rotated, you are exporting those to another format to use in another application. Now you want to import those back into map and want the text to be at the same rotation as before?

Why do you need to import the text if you already have it in Map?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I should rephrase the primary question as I want to rotate text into AutoCAD based on an angle and maybe that is where the template comes in. A secondary thing I wanted to do is convert the blocks in another drawing into points with all the attributes, because I don't know enough about blocks to make use of them.

I decided to drop the project but thought it would be good to know how to place text on an import query though.

Jim

Login to Give a bone

Sounds like you are importing GIS data into MAP and creating text. Then to rotate the text you need to preform an alter-property query on the text objects, after it is imported. You attach the dwg to a new dwg and query the text in and select alter-property then set the roation angle to the field(object data table or Dbase link) that holds the rotation angle.

As for getting the blocks to a point just export the blocks to a shp file format taking the attributes with it then import that shp file into map and it creates the points.

Not to be to smart a$$ but sounds like you could use some standard autocad and Map training and learn how blocksand the query tools in map work .

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurphy View Post
    Sounds like you are importing GIS data into MAP
    Yup, that is why ACAD is not my GIS, it is only for data creation.
    . alter-property then set the roation angle to the field(object data table or Dbase link)
    This is the part where the problem is. Do you need to set up Range Tables in the Set Property Alterations or put the code into the Rotation box in the Define Text Dialog?
    export the blocks to a shp file format taking the attributes with it then import that shp file into map and it creates the points.
    Guess I forgot to mention that is not the problem, only to describe what I was doing.

Not to be to smart a$$ but sounds like you could use some standard autocad and Map training and learn how blocksand the query tools in map work .
    All I want at this time is to rotate. I assume it involves an expression. I have been doing basic queries for a long time.

Login to Give a bone

You just enter the expression in the rotation text box when you define the text in the alter-property query. Depending on where the rotation vaule is coming from as to the expression.
    My example is using an field (nam,ed Rotation) in an object data table named Schema1.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks, I should have copied the expression from the text value to see it was just field name and table. I cannot seem to be able to get the object data to come in with the rotated text (TEXT). OD only appears to remain with text (MTEXT) that I do not set an angle expression to.I will have to work on that one.

jim