Thread: Custom Door Objects....

Marv- Past AUGI President Marv Muston's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Custom Door Objects....

Hi folks.

I was wondering how to make a custom door object that behaves exactly like the existing doors in ADT2006. (i.e cuts the wall, etc.)
    For example: I want to take an existing door style and modify the swing on the plan view. (not simply change the properties but actually edit the graphics, the arc., make the arc extend past the door panel in the plan view)

Thanks! Hope this is clear........
    Marv

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Custom Door Objects....

Quote Originally Posted by marvcad View Post
    Hi folks.

I was wondering how to make a custom door object that behaves exactly like the existing doors in ADT2006. (i.e cuts the wall, etc.)
    For example: I want to take an existing door style and modify the swing on the plan view. (not simply change the properties but actually edit the graphics, the arc., make the arc extend past the door panel in the plan view)

Thanks! Hope this is clear........
    Marv

You can create AutoCAD blocks to show the graphics you want, then attach them to a door style (create a style-level override). You can have the blocks scale with changes in the door size, if that is appropriate for your block. They do not, if I recall properly, react to changes in the opening percentage.

These will show up as a component on the Layer/Color/Linetype tab and you can turn them on and off just like any other component. If you change the door swing arc, you may want to turn off the out-of-the-box version, and show just yours.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    You can create AutoCAD blocks to show the graphics you want, then attach them to a door style (create a style-level override). You can have the blocks scale with changes in the door size, if that is appropriate for your block. They do not, if I recall properly, react to changes in the opening percentage.

These will show up as a component on the Layer/Color/Linetype tab and you can turn them on and off just like any other component. If you change the door swing arc, you may want to turn off the out-of-the-box version, and show just yours.
    Hi David,

I have done that but when I change door size it doesn't scale (ie.- from 2'8" to 3'0")
    What have I missed??

Thanks!!
    Marv

Login to Give a bone

Hi David,

I have done that but when I change door size it doesn't scale (ie.- from 2'8" to 3'0")
    What have I missed??

Thanks!!
    Marv
    There are toggles in the Custom Block dialog that allow you to scale the block by the width, height and depth. Depending upon the nature of what your are doing and how precise you need the results to be, you may need to break up your custom graphics into several separare blocks. For example, a custom jamb frame block may want to scale with the depth, but not the width.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Custom Door Objects....

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    There are toggles in the Custom Block dialog that allow you to scale the block by the width, height and depth. Depending upon the nature of what your are doing and how precise you need the results to be, you may need to break up your custom graphics into several separare blocks. For example, a custom jamb frame block may want to scale with the depth, but not the width.
    Good morning!
    Thanks for the info...I have tried that already and have some weirdness going on. I have attached screen shots of how it looks. I have made a 3' x 6'-8" door block and am using it in the style. Look at the pics and see what happens. It shrinks the door block and has a gap between the wall cap and door frame.
    I know I'm doing something really stupid. I hope you can figure it out for me.

Thanks very much!
    Marv

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Custom Door Objects....

Good morning!
    Thanks for the info...I have tried that already and have some weirdness going on. I have attached screen shots of how it looks. I have made a 3' x 6'-8" door block and am using it in the style. Look at the pics and see what happens. It shrinks the door block and has a gap between the wall cap and door frame.
    I know I'm doing something really stupid. I hope you can figure it out for me.

Thanks very much!
    Marv

OOPS - forgot to attach the images in the previous post - sorry about that!
    Marv
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Just a wild guess here, but the data for the door size could be reading the overlapped door swing as part of the door width, or something like that. If you are attempting to show the actual swing of the door, that is something more than 90 degrees, then you can adjust that within the dialogue box.

If the door symbol works fine right OOTB, I would tend to just use that. Unless there is some compelling purpose, it seems to be a lot of trouble for little gain.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Custom Door Objects....

Quote Originally Posted by cgraham View Post
    Just a wild guess here, but the data for the door size could be reading the overlapped door swing as part of the door width, or something like that. If you are attempting to show the actual swing of the door, that is something more than 90 degrees, then you can adjust that within the dialogue box.

If the door symbol works fine right OOTB, I would tend to just use that. Unless there is some compelling purpose, it seems to be a lot of trouble for little gain.

Hmmmm....OK.....how would I modify the door swing on the OOTB style then??

Thanks for the help!
    Marv