Thread: Does anyone have a method for creating "claymation" or "chipboard" style renderings?

Login to Give a bone

Question Does anyone have a method for creating "claymation" or "chipboard" style renderings?

Does anyone have a method for creating "claymation" or "chipboard" style renderings? Using preferrably REVIT standalone or Viz Link method?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bgoldman; 2007-09-25 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Add photo-images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Does anyone have a method for creating "claymation" or "chipboard" style renderings?

Change your materials to one color... I do that time to time with ArchiCAD as well....
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

I could stop if I wanted to Phil Read's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Does anyone have a method for creating "claymation" or "chipboard" style renderings?

Rename the default "_accurender.mlib" file. Revit won't be able to locate material assignments for renderings. The file is usually at the location:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\RAC 2008\Rendering\AccuRenderRedist\support\_accurender.mlib

This assigns a white, matte material during rendering - while keeping shaded material assignments and surface patterns intact.

Just rename the mlib file back to "_accurender.mlib" when you want to see or assign material assignments.

Example image attached.

All the best.

Phil

Login to Give a bone

if you can run an ink & paint render in revit you might want to look into that. i know max supported it but i dont know about viz.

Login to Give a bone

When I was doing it in VIZ, I started off with setting all my materials in the scene to an almost white colour. Then for the lighting I used a light dome that had some 93 low level lights scattered over it. This gave it a reasonable model look. I then added colour to the scene.

But, this was before radiosity was introduced which I am still yet to play with.
    These are some of the results I got. All models were modelled in Architectural Desktop 3.0.

Login to Give a bone

It's a little roundabout, but there is a free renderer called indigo (indigorenderer.com) that has an exporter from 3D max and sketchup and it will do a single tone rendering very nicely (it's an unbiased renderer). You can pick what material to apply to the whole model (white tone, grey tone, beige clay tone, whatever).

I export the Revit model to dwg and then put that in sketchup and render from there. Like I said, a little round about, but free and with good results.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Does anyone have a method for creating "claymation" or "chipboard" style renderings?

Guys.....these are great techniques!!!!!....I will try them out. It looks like I will have to export to dwg one way or another for the best results. I really appreciate the response.

Login to Give a bone

SU Podium for sketchup does something similar, by not assigning materials.