Thread: Express Tools – Do You Use Them?

Login to Give a bone

Default Express Tools – Do You Use Them?

From what I understand express tools are not "supported" by autodesk anymore.

Is that stopping any one from using them?

We have been debating on recreating some of them just so we don’t have to install them any more....

Nick

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Express Tools – Do You Use Them?

Quote Originally Posted by ndbrainard View Post
    From what I understand express tools are not "supported" by Autodesk anymore.

We have been debating on recreating some of them just so we don’t have to install them any more....

Nick
    Hi Nick,

We use them fairly often.

By "not supported" do you mean eliminate them? I thought they were going to incorporate the express tools into the standard program. I know AMEP 2008 still has the express tools. It seems that Autodesk rarely eliminates commands.

There are some very handy commands in the express menu I hope they don't go away.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

I still use them and so do most firms I work with. They are not supported in that they will not provide product support or development on them. But they continue to ship them with the products. The layers toolbar in express tools is so popular they incorporated it into the 2008 releases of Autodesk AutoCAD based apps.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

From what I understand express tools are not "supported" by autodesk anymore.

Nick
    Are you kidding? I couldn't imagine life w/o them! Outside of this office, I routinely have to introduce them to new users who don't know they exist and if they don't tell their software installer to put them on, they are clueless that they are there for the picking. It is true...the best and most popular ones "grow up" and end up in the core product, but the others are all still worth having around for that situation that standard ACAD commands don't cover. Recreate them? Why on Earth for? To have to choose to install them w/ each new product is one minor additional step...not worth reinventing the wheel for IMHO.

Login to Give a bone

Nick
    To me, it would be more work to recreate them and have to point your new install to look at them. Its far easier to create a standard network installation that includes the express tools and be done with it. otherwise you have to create a profile, partial cui and get everything setup in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Are the express tools in Acad 2008 LT. I was looking for arc aligned text, came to find out it is an express tool. Tried to install them but didn't see it in the installation window, on the software. does anyone know where I can find them. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jlapointe View Post
    Are the express tools in Acad 2008 LT. I was looking for arc aligned text, came to find out it is an express tool. Tried to install them but didn't see it in the installation window, on the software. does anyone know where I can find them. Any help will be greatly appreciated
    Express tools are lisp based tools and LT does not support lisp, therefore it is not possible to run them, let alone find them.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jlapointe View Post
    It's true that ET are not available for LT--sorry--but if you do a Google, you may find some 3rd party apps that work just like them. There may or may not be a cost, and which version of LT may be a factor, but do some research and you may be pleasantly surprised