Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stairs and Elements

Login to Give a bone

Default Stairs and Elements

I'm just staring to use PN, just got Paul Aubins book "Mastering ACA2008", and I need help!

I have a building with a basement and a mezzanine. I have my exterior and interior constructs, no problem. I was going to add my stairs as elelments. Problem is, the stairs going to the mezzanine look great on the first floor construct. But when I attach the same stair element to the mezzanine construct, the cut plane is wrong, and it's showing the bottom of the stairs traveling up, instead of the top of the stairs traveling down. Is there a way to use the same stair in different constructs and change the display properties of an Xref? If not, instead of having multiple elements of the same stair, wouldn't it be better to just add it as part of each construct?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Stairs and Elements

Hi Dan,
    You may want to read Paul's section on "spaning". If I remember right, for stair towers Paul likes to span them, sim to doing an exterior as one file.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Hi Dan,
    You may want to read Paul's section on "spaning". If I remember right, for stair towers Paul likes to span them, sim to doing an exterior as one file.
    ~smack~ why didn't I think of that. That makes total sense. As always David, thanks for the tip, let me see if it works. I'm sure I'll uncover another problem with spanning a stair.

Login to Give a bone

Oh wait, I did do that. I made the stairs an element, then went to "attach element to constructs", and picked the first and second floor interior. The element itself looks correct from the first floor, but I need the "other" part of the stairs shown for the second floor, and the arrow showing down as the path of travel, not up. How do I do this?

Login to Give a bone

I believe that you want to make the stairs a construct, not an element. When you make it an elelment and it spans, when you attach it to the mezz plan, it thinks it's the first floor. (I think).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    I believe that you want to make the stairs a construct, not an element. When you make it an elelment and it spans, when you attach it to the mezz plan, it thinks it's the first floor. (I think).
    I originally just had it as a part of the constructs, but then, there would be 2 sets of stairs overlapping in the model (I think). I'll research it, there has to be a way to do it.

Login to Give a bone

Try it with the stair tower generate tool. There's also a bunch of info in Pauls book on it. Or at least there was in the 2005 copy

Login to Give a bone

Depending on how you are used to representing stairs in a plan view, the ACA stairs may not get you what you want. If you run into a dead end for getting the stairs to show the way you want in plan view I may have a solution for you, however it is a very convoluted process...
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

I just read in Paul's book about using dipsplay configuration for stairs. One for bottom floor, middle floors, and upper floor. They are supposed to load with stairs OOTB. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I'll let you know how it works out.

Login to Give a bone

Okay, the display configs work correctly, but here's the problem. Just like you said, David, I noticed that the stairs are seeing my mezzanine construct as being at a 0 elevation. Now I have a set of stairs that go to the roof!! I'll try a stair tower, but I thought that was for multi level stairs, this is just a straight run. I'll also try making them constructs instead of elements. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast