Thread: Criteria Based Design Options

Wish List Administration

Default Criteria Based Design Options

Summary: I wish I could define points that restrict profile placement. You draw a point and specify allowed direction (whether you can only place profile above or under the point).

Description: I wish I could define points that restrict profile placement. You draw a point and specify allowed direction (whether you can only place profile above or under the point). In case if you place profile incorrectly a warning (showing restricting point station and elevation, zoom to point function) is issued. It would be also helpful to be able to give a description to any restricting point, so that warnings are more informative.

How Used: Design profiles using restricting points

Feature Affinity: Profiles

Submitted By: Viktors Zilinskis on September 27, 2007

Default Re: Criteria Based Design Options

Here is it in other words:

What is your wish?

I would like to be able to specify fixed points in profile view which would restrict creation of a profile upwards or downwards. Therefore Create Profile by Layout toolbar could be a good place for the feature. Whenever a profile is created not respecting restrictions imposed by these points, they could issue a warning showing point elevation, station of corresponding alignment and description (it could be an option to give one at point’s creation). It would be great to be able to review, edit and delete the points. Zoom to selected fixed point function would be great as well. Due to the fact that these points would be helpful for designers only but not necessary for contractors it would be nice to be able to place them into a separate layer to enable plot suppression of these points in layer properties. Fixed points also could be styled in a similar way as ordinary Civil3D points.

How would you use your wish?

Suppose I’m designing a reconstruction of an existing road with existing connections it might be that some of these connections already have maximum/minimum slope. In that case it wouldn’t be possible to heighten/lower them any further. I could place fixed point in profile view to keep in mind this minimum/maximum for profile geometry;
    Suppose there are some objects in plan which can not be removed (tree, building). Taking into account cross section of designed road I could calculate minimum and maximum heights for profile at the station in order to insure that road construction (cut/fill) doesn’t overlap with these objects. Once again I could add these minimums/maximums as fixed points in corresponding profile view.