Thread: Sloping Glazing - panels on wrong side of location line

All AUGI, all the time ejburrell67787's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Sloping Glazing - panels on wrong side of location line

Has anyone came across this before?

If we draw a sloped glazing roof we find that the glazing is often below the location line rather than above it and there doesn't seem to be a way to flip it like there is with a curtain wall for instance. In orthogonal shaped sections of glazing I have been able to force it to flip by mirroring the roof and then rotating it to locate it correctly... no such success with non-orthogonal sections yet though...!

Any known solution?
    Elrond Burrell, Architect

[Connect with me on LinkedIn or Twitter]

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."
    - Chinese Proverb

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sloping Glazing - panels on wrong side of location line

I guess this is the supplied UK roof samples?

I've just tried it and yes, the glazing comes in under the roofline for some reason.

Funnily enough I was just about to do a glazed roof for a conservatory but had assumed I would do it like DGcad's curtain systems example forgetting that there was this glazed roof available (mini version on his blog if you scroll down a bit)...
    http://revitrocks.blogspot.com/

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It seems to be consistent behaviour that a sloped glazing roof created By Face will place the location line below the glazing. If it is created as a roof by footprint then the location line is above the glazing.
    I'm not sure if it's always been this way because I've never noticed before.

Regarding using the curtain system as a roof, keep in mind when you create a curtain system and you intend to use it as a roof it won't behave the same way as a roof.
    You won' t be able to attach the top of wall to the underside of a curtain system but you will if you use the sloped glazing roof type.
    Last edited by Dimitri Harvalias; 2007-10-04 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Added comment re: curtain system

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri Harvalias View Post
    Regarding using the curtain system as a roof, keep in mind when you create a curtain system and you intend to use it as a roof it won't behave the same way as a roof.
    You won' t be able to attach the top of wall to the underside of a curtain system but you will if you use the sloped glazing roof type.
    thanks Dimitri - that's saved me a bit of testing - believe it or not I woke up in the night wondering about the roof wall connections... very sad

Login to Give a bone

This is a bug then to my mind. I can't see any reason why the panels in sloping glazing should be below the location line...!

- Chinese Proverb

I could stop if I wanted to Melarch's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I just tried placing a slope glazing system (imperial) on a mass and the sloped glazing panel was above the location line but below the mass surface. If this is unique to the metric version or UK roof version of the sloped glazing, then it is a problem, especially if there is no way to correct the glazing position. I found in the panel element properties for the glazing panel the same controls for repositioning the pane respective of the center location line used by curtain systems and had no problem moving the panels positoin above or below the locatio line.

What am I missing with respect to your issue? Is it that the entire slope glazed element is ending up with its outside - inside, inverted? It seems to me that for what ever reason your version of the slope glazing is ending up inverted, then repositioning the panel will certainly correct the panels position. This doesn't bode well for the particular sloped glazing roof element, but certainly offers a work-around until Revit can amend that versio of the slope glazing roof elements inverted placement. Understandly a problem and a concern.

Mel Persin, AIA
    AEC Technology Consultant
    Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
    MasterGraphics, Inc.

Login to Give a bone

Cheers Mel - That is true - you can adjust the panel offset to move it above the location line. The trouble with this is that it is a type parameter - ie every single panel of that type then moves relative to it's location line. This would be fine if all the sloping glazing was consistent... but sometimes the panels are above, sometimes they are below.... so swapping them still leaves the project with some above, some below...

And all my sloping glazing is placed by creating roof by footprint.

- Chinese Proverb

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This could be tackled by duplicating the type - once you're sure all settings are as desired ofcourse - and adapt the offset. You then switch all 'wrong' glazing to the duplicated type.

To check all later adaptions are made for both types, you can schedule for all important parameters and then check for any inconcistencies.

Does the drawing order of the lines (clockwise / counter clockwise) decide the position of the location line? This is a known and inherent issue for some layered non-horizontal families.

Login to Give a bone

I am currently having the same problem as discussed below. Using a work-around such as changing the offset within the type parameter is tedious operation in my case. My sloped glazing is applied to a mass surface. The problem is that whenever I update/shift an edge within the mass surface, the orientation of the sloped glazing will often (but not always) flip around. There seems to be no logic and no consistency. Why???

WHY HAS THIS BUG NOT BEEN RESOLVED BY AUTODESK??? IT'S BEEN AT LEAST 5 YEARS SINCE IT WAS IDENTIFIED. I AM SICK OF HAVING TO USE SO MANY WORK-AROUNDS FOR A PIECE OF SOFTWARE THAT IS OVER A DECADE OLD. WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

(thank god it's the weekend tomorrow).