Thread: Offset line from within the line command

I could stop if I wanted to whittendesigns's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Offset line from within the line command

It's been awhile since I've used AutoCAD. I'm using Revit mostly, but need to move back to AutoCAD for some stuff. One of the options we have in Revit is when we selected the line command, there is an offset amount option. I'm using basic AutoCAD commands for a cnc machine. I can use the line command, then offset that line, but the line is going to be overlaying another line, thus the need (or desire) to have it in the line command or pline, or something similar to the xline. Am I out of luck? I can survive, just would like this option to be available.

All AUGI, all the time Capt. Computer Crasher's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Offset line from within the line command

Quote Originally Posted by whittendesigns View Post
    It's been awhile since I've used AutoCAD. I'm using Revit mostly, but need to move back to AutoCAD for some stuff. One of the options we have in Revit is when we selected the line command, there is an offset amount option. I'm using basic AutoCAD commands for a cnc machine. I can use the line command, then offset that line, but the line is going to be overlaying another line, thus the need (or desire) to have it in the line command or pline, or something similar to the xline. Am I out of luck? I can survive, just would like this option to be available.
    Why, again do you need it in the line command? if it is because you need to change to a different but it is on top of another line, then set the layer you want the offset on as current then activate offset . Enter "L" for layer, then "C" for current. now pick the line to offset. it was be set on the current layer regardless of what layer the original was on.
    I hope this helps.

I could stop if I wanted to whittendesigns's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks, it did help. I didn't realize that when you are in the current layer, that it will pick the current layer line. Just too used to Revit and have to re -unlearn things....again.

All AUGI, all the time Capt. Computer Crasher's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by whittendesigns View Post
    Thanks, it did help. I didn't realize that when you are in the current layer, that it will pick the current layer line. Just too used to Revit and have to re -unlearn things....again.
    This has been a feature since 2006 I think