Thread: RAC2008- Fatal error mirroring Groups

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default RAC2008- Fatal error mirroring Groups

Anyone else encountered this?

I have a symmetrical pair of buildings, so through SD, ive been working on one as a group, then simply mirroring it about a ref. plane. It has been working without incident for a few weeks. The building is still VERY simple, i dont even have any structure in it yet.

But for some reason, starting ten minutes ago... Trying to mirror that group results in a fatal error. Ive tried copying the group with disjoin and mirroring it out in space, no luck.

Anyone else having trouble with it?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: RAC2008- Fatal error mirroring Groups

It wont let me convert the group to a Link either.

This makes me sad.

Login to Give a bone

Okay, interesting... It has something to do with a Storefront Entrance (Curtain Wall) that is a group nested in the group.

if i remove the Storefront Groups from the Bldg group, i can mirror the Building group. I still cant mirror the Storefront groups.

Interestingly enough, i just added some Grids and Mullions to that Storefront group, where this morning is was just one large CW panel. Ever since i propogated the changes through that group, i havent been able to mirror. Maybe ill check for unseen constraints or something...

Am i talking to myself? lol...

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Any Reviewable Warnings regarding curtain grids requiring at least one mullion? Revit doesn't seem to appreciate the trick of hiding (Add/Remove Grid) an entire curtain grid to manipulate other mullions. Mirroring, loading as a group and then binding all seem to choke on this error. By choke I mean either refuse to do it or only if it deletes the curtain walls that are using this technique.

Login to Give a bone

There isnt anything in the Warning dialogue about Curtain Grids or Mullions, but it wouldnt surprise me if it is somethign related.

The Model Group has a Curtain Grid that has one segment removed, and some different mullions in it here and there. Good to know its an issue though. I knew it had to be something in that CW, because that was all that changed before i tried to mirror it...

The groups are working great otherwise, but considering the shell is symmetrical, i should really consider using a linked file thats mirrored, i suppose...

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    but considering the shell is symmetrical, i should really consider using a linked file thats mirrored, i suppose...
    That would be my suggestion Aaron.
    One of the things about groups is that they still remain 'sticky' as they try to resolve clean up issues with other objects in the file. Linked files don't have that problem.
    Several of my clients had similar issues and, if memory serves, we traced it to curtain systems and some ref plane based objects.

Login to Give a bone

I know, and i love the idea of using a linked file... But it brings with it its own host of problems.

I cant tag items from the linked file, unless i do it IN the linked file, and then use that View from the linked file. In retail, thats a huge PITA... because Names/Numbers/Door locations move too much. So i would need the static pieces in the linked file, and the dynamic pieces in the file itself... It could be pretty clean, but id have to get the project team to understand why it was done that way...

As an aside, now that ive fixed the group, i suppose ill just try not deleting one half of the model anymore.

The walls in oart of the group are attached (base) to a roof, and when i mirror the group, becuase its a different roof, they wont attach. I cant attach them, either, or it says the groups are no longer consistant. So i deleted the 2nd half and went to recreate it for simplicities sake. I just wont do that again, LOL. Ill wait for the design to settle, and once it does, ill just ungroup and proceed with the details...