See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does grading not always work?

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Why does grading not always work?

Something you said gave me a partial solution to my woes. When you mentioned working over your network I had a thought and saved by drawing locally to my workstation. This helped out considerably as I am crashing less (note: I said "less", which means I am still crashing, but less now than before). My guess is that working over the network requires more resources and/or is causing some sort of a data delay as information is being read/written over the servers (which is serving hundreds of other users at the same time). I don't know if my theory is valid and even if it is, how to bypass it right now (saving locally is all well and fine, but it requires me to be sure to park the file on the server every night, otherwise my files don't get backed up and are not available to other users ). This will become a moot point in about 3 or 4 months when we upgrade to gigabit network, but I will have to find a solution right now.

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Why does grading not always work?

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Brian, when you fillet your feature lines, how small do you make your radii?
    It really depends on the data and the design. I usually try to make the radius greater then the grading length, if possible. This way, there are no serious interior corners to clean up.

Login to Give a bone

I have found that keeping the drawing on a local drive does work better than across the network, so we have started using the Vault which can be set to store checked out drawings locally to work with and then back to the server when checked in.
    As far as the grading problem I found that it sometimes takes quite a while to run thru. I was grading a 400 acre parcel for a borrow site it appeared to be hanging up so I let it run when I left the office and it finished 2 1/2 hours later. I don't know if this applies to your situation but if it appears to be hung up try just letting it run.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply Brian.

Nick, thanks for the info as it seems to validate some of my theory. I wish we could use Vault, as it seems to automate the process I am already doing, but it is not a logistical acheivement right now for our I.S. department (but I am hopeful that Autodesk will continue to simplify Vault, as it seems to be doing w/ 2008, so that we will eventually be able to use it).

As for my freezes being just a lag, I am just grading a very small pad (only about 25' x 30') so I don't know if this is the issue. Also, it does work some of the time, usually when I am doing a rough grading. It's only when I go back and tighten up some elevations or adjust my slopes (you know, finish my design) that I seem to get these issues.

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Why does grading not always work?

I just found this Autodesk Knowledge Base Article on Improving Civil 3D Performance which further validates my theory:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240697

One of the listed solutions is to copy your project drawing to a local hard drive. There are several other solutions to try as well. Hope this helps anyone else looking for help .

Login to Give a bone

anyone willing to try my file on their computer for grading i want to know if its my machine failing or my grading failing

Login to Give a bone

Hey when you guys are grading do you see your PF usage increase
    Because when I type status in AutoCAD or look at task manager the physical memory available listed is still more than half or just about half like 1152MB available out of 2054MB

Which so much memory available how come I can't make it past 11%?
    And is using 2008 C3D much better than using 2007 C3D

What I don’t understand after much difficulty I created the excavation site of the dam. On Monday after the review they wanted to increase the north side footprint by 5m no problem I will just offset the feature line and grade again and now it won't perform instead it will keep crashing.

anybody else doing grading at this level and autodesk has been no help so far there has to be companies that constantly use C3D for grading, what do you do to meet your require work load what kind of time frames do u set out for excavating 625,000.00 cu m of dirt (that is how much i am removing) and now it will incrase since the north footprint is offset another 5m
    Last edited by rjairath; 2007-11-14 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Login to Give a bone

Randy (I assume that's your name),

I'l take a look at your drawing. I'm using 2008 SP2.

Give me some instructions for the specific steps you want me to test.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen View Post
    Randy (I assume that's your name),

I'l take a look at your drawing. I'm using 2008 SP2.

Give me some instructions for the specific steps you want me to test.
    hey was that directed to me "rjairath" or "randyc"

if it is directed to me please send me your email address (via post or PM) i will zip the drawing down currently it is 30mb it will be contour surface(base) and a feature line representing the depth (ditch) of excavated dirt, the infill command works to remove all the bulk of the dirt but when I go and perfom the grading to the outside perimeter to grade to surface with slope of 1:1 I get to 7% and ... crash

well that is it either fatal error or just sits there forever.

Login to Give a bone

That was directed at you "rjairath". I just looked at the wrong member name when I replied. I would not assume that your name is Randy. I'll PM you with my FTP address.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast