See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: multi view blocks

Login to Give a bone

Default multi view blocks

Okay, I know they aren't this hard. I created my blocks in the correct UCS and made a multi view block. The 3d model and plan views look great, but I don't have any of the other views (sides, rear, etc). What did I do wrong this time? Here's the file. One of the 3d blocks is the Mview, the other is a mass element that I used to make the block.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: multi view blocks

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Okay, I know they aren't this hard. I created my blocks in the correct UCS and made a multi view block. The 3d model and plan views look great, but I don't have any of the other views (sides, rear, etc). What did I do wrong this time? Here's the file. One of the 3d blocks is the Mview, the other is a mass element that I used to make the block.
    I can not look at a 2008 file here at work, but I think I can guess why you are not getting what you want for the front, back, left and right view directions. You need to create the block(s) used for these view directions in the World XZ or World YZ plane (as you want them to be seen) - BUT define the blocks with the World Coordinate System current. If you drew them all "flat" in the XY plane, or if you had them drawn in the World XZ or World YZ plane, but defined the block with the UCS set to make that same plane the "drawing" plane, then when you assign the view blocks to your Multi-View Block, all you will see is the edge of the block, lying flat in the XY plane. One way to test this is to set one of your front/back/left/right view blocks to the "Other" view direction for a given Display Representation [DR], then set a Display Configuration current that has that DR active for the Display Representation Set assigned to the Default view direction and choose one of the standard isometric views. If the block is lying down in the World XY plane, it is not correctly defined.

Unfortunately, this does mean you can not take an elevation block that you may have drawn for adding to an elevation drawing and use it for a Multi-View Block (without rotating the graphics up into the right plane, exploding and redefining the block), nor can you take a view block set up properly for a Multi-View Block and insert it in an elevation drawing (without rotating the block in 3D to get it to positioned in the XY plane of the elevation drawing).

The attached drawing, done in ADT 2004, illustrates the way you need to define the blocks. At the lower left are the series of blocks that make up the Multi-View Block. As you can see, the graphics are drawn in the World XY plane for the Top and Bottom blocks, in the World XZ plane for the Front and Back blocks and the World YZ plane for the left and right blocks. All blocks were defined with the WCS current. At the upper right are a series of instances of the Multi-View Block, rotated in 3D space such that, when viewed from the standard Front view direction, each of the different view blocks will be displayed.

Login to Give a bone

I believe that's what I did. Here's how it went down:
    I created a plan view, then I drew all the other views in the XY plane. I then copy clipped the side views and pasted them in the YZ plane and made my blocks from there. I checked the UCS, and it is set to World. I used the Wblock command to create the block. I did the same with the rear and front but put them in the XZ plane. Here it is again saved down to 2000.

Login to Give a bone

I figured it out. You were correct David. I checked my UCS by typing UCS at the command line, then arrowing down. It showed that world was checked, but I noticed my UCS icon didn't change. I then went to view, new UCS, and picked world and my icon reflected the correct UCS. Turns out I wasn' t in world as I thought. I redid the MVblock, and all is well. Thanks for the help.