Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spray-on fireproofing

Login to Give a bone

Has anyone here ever created spray-on fireproofing for steel structure the way AEC Details creates it for ACAD? I'm falling in love with 2D detail drafting in Revit , but require this necessary component...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Spray-on fireproofing

I would create a detail component using the diff. structural detail components as a base, use the pick tool to pick the lines of the element, then offset as required to create the thickness of fireproofing, finish sketch assign a fill type and then change the fill pattern of the original to none, then you can use it with the type catalogues assoc. with the item, ie wide flange.

or just draw a filled region around the item and send it to back so the other item hides its shape.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

That's one solution, but do you think there's a way to develop the 'squiggly' line look of the fireproofing? See attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

You might try using invisible model/symbolic lines offset at a couple of anges from your steel family, then lock splin points to the ends of the lines. That way you ought to be able to parameterise things.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

How do this do? See attached image...This was quick so I'd be compelled to make the lines look a bit "better", but you get the idea right?

Left side of beam has "edges" of FP visible, right invisible...which is more betterer?

I saved as the detail component structural wide flange family, added the FP filled region locking it to the perimeter of the beam. You could conceivably just have the FP and make the entire beam invisible to put on top of a true beam cut in sections views??

Login to Give a bone

Steve, I think we're on the same path. I created a copy of the W-Wide Flange family and put in the fireproofing. I set up the dimensions in the sketch for the filled region and created an instance parameter called "Fireproofing" so I can modify the thickness.

The FP flexes nicely with each family type, but when I try to change the Fireproofing thickness parameter, I get an error that says it can't make the type. Ideas?

BTW, I like your curvy edge better than mine. Have you attempted to 'parametricize' that design to the steel shape?

Login to Give a bone

Anyone come up with a better way yet?

This thread is pretty old...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JamesVan
    Steve, I think we're on the same path. I created a copy of the W-Wide Flange family and put in the fireproofing. I set up the dimensions in the sketch for the filled region and created an instance parameter called "Fireproofing" so I can modify the thickness.

The FP flexes nicely with each family type, but when I try to change the Fireproofing thickness parameter, I get an error that says it can't make the type. Ideas?

BTW, I like your curvy edge better than mine. Have you attempted to 'parametricize' that design to the steel shape?
    Hey James and Steve,

You guys are brilliant. Can you send me your files? I'd like to look into something...

thanksm

Login to Give a bone

Here is a different idea
    One image shows a single detail component that I put into a repeating detail...

The second shows it applied.

While not the best solution - I still have to touch up the corners, I can usually get pretty close.

This allows me to do details like floor connections where there is a beam, deck or some other member on top of the sprayed beam (fireproofiing then follows another element and does not form across top as if it got stuck in the wide flange family)
    Last edited by D_Driver; 2005-09-25 at 05:51 AM.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tatlin
    ...You guys are brilliant...
    aw shucks...fidgets nervously... You give me too much credit certainly...I might be brilliant if I actually had the file still!! Did you notice the dates on those posts? Over two years ago, YIKES! That's like four PC's and two companies ago! Time flies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast