See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detail Libraries with Model Space / Paper Space

Login to Give a bone

Question Detail Libraries with Model Space / Paper Space

Hello all,
    The following problem has me lost.

At my company, we are trying to switch from using Model Space only to using both Model Space and Paper Space. To start, we are thinking of a new library of stock details that would have geometry in MS and dimensions and notes on PS.

Before starting this library, I have been thinking about the usability of it (if that's a word).
    Currently, we only work on MS and it is very easy to insert details from existing libraries that are also MS only. However, I can't get past the thought of how to easily insert a new detail from a MS/PS library into a MS/PS new sheet without having to copy the viewport from the detail's PS to my new sheet's PS and then copy the geometry from the detail's MS to my new sheet's MS (to original coordinates). This seems like it will add a lot of work when trying to insert stock (library) details into a new project. In addition, it seems to me that all the associability of the library detail from its MS and PS will be lost once the copy and paste is done.
    I hope the question makes sense. Any thoughts or suggestions? How are other companies dealing with this issue? Am I missing something since I am a PS newbie?

Thanks for your help.

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Detail Libraries with Model Space / Paper Space

Quote Originally Posted by cesar View Post
    Hello all,
    The following problem has me lost.

At my company, we are trying to switch from using Model Space only to using both Model Space and Paper Space. To start, we are thinking of a new library of stock details that would have geometry in MS and dimensions and notes on PS.

Before starting this library, I have been thinking about the usability of it (if that's a word).
    Currently, we only work on MS and it is very easy to insert details from existing libraries that are also MS only. However, I can't get past the thought of how to easily insert a new detail from a MS/PS library into a MS/PS new sheet without having to copy the viewport from the detail's PS to my new sheet's PS and then copy the geometry from the detail's MS to my new sheet's MS (to original coordinates). This seems like it will add a lot of work when trying to insert stock (library) details into a new project. In addition, it seems to me that all the associability of the library detail from its MS and PS will be lost once the copy and paste is done.
    I hope the question makes sense. Any thoughts or suggestions? How are other companies dealing with this issue? Am I missing something since I am a PS newbie?

Thanks for your help.
    Hi cesar,

I'm not an Architect but I agree with you. I wouldn't create standard details in both model space and paper space. Too much of a headache and no benefit that I can see.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

I agree, it's probably not worth the effort however - how about putting geometry and dimensions in mspace and using Changespace to move the dims after block insertion?

Login to Give a bone

As a general rule, Paper Space is for the title block and maybe notes. Sometimes I put annotation and dimensions in PSpace, but it depends. I don't see why converting to usng PSpace would be a problem as the title block is the only thing you "have" to place in PSpace.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by anim8er View Post
    As a general rule, Paper Space is for the title block and maybe notes. Sometimes I put annotation and dimensions in PSpace, but it depends. I don't see why converting to usng PSpace would be a problem as the title block is the only thing you "have" to place in PSpace.
    For many people, that's true. Some people put all annotation in paperspace though.

Login to Give a bone

Dear Friend, Usally you don't creat dimension in paper space, now you can do one thing, use express tools "Change Space" Command converting dimensions from PS to MS.
    If you have lot of drawings you can make script file to run this only command on every drawing.
    cheers
    Suresh

Login to Give a bone

We draw our details in MS including all associated dimensions and text.

If you need a title block on each individual detail I would put the TB in PS in each detail drawing. This would work fine assuming that you don't need that title block when you insert the detail onto a larger sheet. If you want to show each detail with it's own title block when you insert it into another drawing put the title block in MS.

Each detail should be a seperate drawing. When you need to "insert" it into another drawing I would recommend using xref or at least leave it as a block. If you explode details of varying annotation scales you can have issues. (These issues can be avoided if you are using annotation scaling in 2008 but that is another subject.)

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

We use a mixture of model and paperspace at my office. there are many headaches associated with it. however, we make standard details such as ADA standards a block in PS. other details we draw in MS and annotate in PS. text is the easiest to deal with use your companies standards. dimstyles will be your friend. make one for each scale you use. then you will be able to dimension properly. i still have MS and PS styles in my template. same with text. CHSPACE can be your worst enemy or your best friend. i lock my viewports before i move stuff from model to paper. it's too tempting to want to scroll and pan. that in a nutshell is how we handle it here. NOW ask me what i think of the system. i will say this though. when your dealing with site plans and crud from other companies its a timesaver.
    ~Frank

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Detail Libraries with Model Space / Paper Space

In our office, we use the MS for the line work and PS for all text and dimensioning. Our details are all drawn to scale in PS. We just make new dim styles for the different scales of the details. Having all the text in PS, we do not deal with the scaling issues of having the same text in 2 different VP with different scales. This also minimizes the layers. We do not need a different layer for each Text scale.
    I am intrested in how the other offices work. Thanks for the pointers.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

If you know what scale your details are to be (3"=1'-0", 1/2"=1'-0" etc.) then you can draw them full scale and annotate them (you have to figure the size of text and dims based on the final print scale) in MS then insert them as blocks or xrefs in PS by entering the scale factor(1, 2, 4,8,12,16,24,32, 48,96 etc.) when inserting. For the most part a detail rarely changes scale from job to job but remains standard, so once you figure out what scale works best this is fairly simple to manage. I'm not yet familiar with Annotative Scaling of Text and Dims, but I think this will make your task even easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast