Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts for a Points File Export from RAC 2008?

Login to Give a bone

Default Any thoughts for a Points File Export from RAC 2008?

Coming form the wonderful world of Rhino and trying to imagine a clever way to get a Points File (.csv, .asc. xyz, etc.) file exported from my RAC 2008 model for geometry re-creation in another platform. Drafting tools let me spot dimension graphically all the points I need, but I am stumped for ways to get the primary point data out in a good old Excel friendly x,y,z format. IFC - no dice. Hacked use of topo tools - no dice. Top Value and Bottom Value parameters in Spot Elevation Type parameters appear to be factory installed. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Any thoughts for a Points File Export from RAC 2008?

Export to DWG, make an AutoLISP application to write comma-delimited file of vertex points or whatever.

Login to Give a bone

I may have some API code that can export points from geometry.

Do you really just need a list of (unrelated) vertices, or do you want the face data as well?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Revitator View Post
    I may have some API code that can export points from geometry.

Do you really just need a list of (unrelated) vertices, or do you want the face data as well?
    Having both points and face data would be great, but I'll take whatever I can get. Thanks for the help!

Login to Give a bone

OK, so there are lots of ways we could format the resulting file, depending on how you wanted to use the data. Do you want to say more about how you're going to process the file, so we can generate it in the best format?

Login to Give a bone

We are going to be working with a fabricator who wants to see the point data in at least an Excel spreadsheet (we imagine they are going to recreate in Rhino...or similar) so if we could get point data in a comma delimited *.txt format (16 significant digits should do) and double quotes areound the points would be great. Please let me know if I can provide further detail here. Thank you for the effort on this.

Login to Give a bone

So, here are a Revit file and the resulting csv file. I've also included a wrl (VRML file), which includes the face data.

You can compare the point data in the two files using a text editor and verify that they're the same. The wrl file should open in any VRML viewer (Flux Player, Cortona, etc.), so you can compare it with the rvt.

Now, unfortunately we're not quite ready to release the code into the wild just yet. But I'd be happy to run your file through the code if that would help.

You might want to find out some more specifics about your fabricator's process: If we can transfer the data in a higher-level format, it will save time and errors.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks so very much. Sorry for the delayed response, been out of commission the past few days, This all looks very promising. I am in in transit as I write, so I will investigate the attachments and may very well take you up on the offer to examine our Revit file. Thank you again. This is incredibly helpful and insightful. Many, many thanks. I will post again soon.

Login to Give a bone

No problem. Post back here or PM me.

Login to Give a bone

Hi. I'd like to take you up on the offer to generate a .csv from our Revit file.

Attached you will find a zipped .RVT and some screen shots trying to tell the story.

This configuration will be a surround for 600x600mm HSS. It is composed of 3 panels. Each panel has a thickness of 15mm (for now - very early DD phase - the .RFA in general, paramaters and algebra constantly changing) These panels will be composed of a poured resin made from recyled materials.

We are attempting to get the Fabricator to use data from our .RVT to generate the male/female molds for each panel. (he will split the geometry of each of the 3 panels you see here for symmetry and milling of the molds)

He works in other platforms (as do we) but we are keen on trying to push Revit as far as it will go. All involved feel that a point exchange is the most effective method. For now, as we all get accustomed to the process, .csv as a format is something everyone can understand.

I thank you in advance for your efforts here.

Likewise, this research will be part of several upcoming presentations, including AU 07. Needless to say we need to include your participation for credit. I leave this entirely up to you. If you would like us to cite you by your AUGI user name or real name and affiliations. The choice is yours.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast