Thread: Text problems with Adobe Illustrator

Login to Give a bone

Default Text problems with Adobe Illustrator

Our Illustration section just changed to using Adobe Illustrator to take our drawings and create .wmf files for our specification writers, (the object is to have .wmf files that can be altered for the Specs...I know...). With some text, they are experiencing problems with text either picking up extra spaces ("from the" becomes fro mthe") or text overlapping (2-4 characters in the space of 1-2) in the .wmf.

I have got our illustrator testing some files with text created in various way (exploding mtext to single-line, attributes, etc.) to see if there is a pattern, but wanted to send this out to see if anyone has seen this behavior and if they know of a fix.

I know this is a jacked up way to create the files for our tech writers, but there a certain walls we do not attack without ammo.

Thanks ahead of time.

D-day

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Text problems with Adobe Illustrator

Try looking at BetterWMF as the output tool to get from Acad to Illustrator. You may get better results.

Otherwise I would think deletting the text in CAD, and placing it in Illustrator would be a better approach than the raw import to Illustrator. More control of the final output that way.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Text problems with Adobe Illustrator

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, because of the way our tools, inputs, and outputs are limited by our work environement, we're stuck trying to find a fix for what we have. Another part of the problem is some of the inherited files we are obligated to use have either been put together by (insert your favorite term for drunk monkeys here) or converted by what I believe is the entire spectrum of CAD programs that can output or convert to .dwg format. Sometimes it works, other times we spend alot of time repairing drawings we can't just delete and do ourselves... like the rules of some strange gameshow.

Thanks again.

D-day