Thread: Take-off Challenge

Login to Give a bone

Default Take-off Challenge

Hey,

I am doing a take-off for a very specific element for a rough framing job we are doing on the construction side of things and want to get some feedback on how I can make it happen.

We are bidding a very large hybrid panelized roof system and I was giving my estimator some help in the background. I want to get a quick plan drawn up of all the sheets on the roof and they're nailing patterns to eventually get a take off on nail quantity. I know, pretty picky, but we are nailing down (no pun int'd) this estimate and want to get our material pretty tight.

So I'm not sure if a line based detail component nested in another family would do the trick or what. There are several diff. diaphram zones in this roof so I would like to be able to control, edge nailing, cont. nailing, field nailing, other edges and boundary nailing. I would like to have a family nested that arrayed around the edge of a panel where you would define those via the parameters listed.

Then populate the roof with this family, run a schedule and see those parameters and be able to get some totals.

I made an attempt with this quickly with a combonation of shared parameters, detail component family and a generic model family, but not sure how to get these things in a schedule. I can't get it basically.

Would any of you have some suggestions on which combonations of families would work to achieve this and to be able to get the parameters used in those families into a schedule?

Josh

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Take-off Challenge

Hi Josh...second guessing you...

Don't you buy nail gun "rolls" by the box for a job? Doesn't the count come down to how many boxes and the thousands of nails per box. Don't you really just need to know the area of a roof and a nominal nail count per sf? If you are trying to get the price down to the minimum and you are counting nails I suspect that something unforseen like soil suitability will "nail" you. And all that minimizing will get wiped out in a second and a couple of truckloads of fresh soil.

I realize that you are entitled to do anything you want in the name of getting the answers you want but I couldn't help my gut reaction.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Take-off Challenge

Hey Steve....good lookin' out No, we normally do just have a regular quantitly per sheet we use give or take a little bit...but like I said, the diaphrams on this one are all over the board and there are quite a few of them, making an average pretty tough to find. I just went ahead and drafted a bunch of stuff real quick and it came out to nearly 200k nails, roughly 60 boxes, plus some slop.

I actually use revit for a lot of misc. stuff cause I'm so used to using it. I like the visual aid. I also like the idea of having a sheet component, detail or otherwise that you could specify the diff. nail patterns on and get that to report in a schedule. My estimator would love me!

Thanks,