Thread: phasing ....is there a trick or is it just me?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default phasing ....is there a trick or is it just me?

I started a project. I set up two plans, one with the intent of showing existing and demo the other to show existing and new. My walls all come in as "new" construction even though i am am trying to show existing. Phase is "new construction" (that doesn't make sense but it seems to be the only way i can make the walls appear as outlines) Phase Filter (Show Previous + Demo). My new work plan is working fine (Show Previous + New/New Construction)

I am drawing in my "Existing/Demo Plan" and i am having to change properties per every individual wall to "Existing".....seemed like they should just come as existing if i set the view properties to existing, and they do, but they display as new construction. I can see the components of the wall system as apposed to the walls showing as outlines.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: phasing ....is there a trick or is it just me?

When you draw any new object (i.e. walls) they will automatically come in as the current phase. So if you draw the walls, that should be existing, in either of your 2 plans, these walls will come in as new (since the only way to show demo walls is to show them in the phase they are being demolished.....for instance in the new construction phase.)

To make the story short....create a copy of your floor plan, and make the current phase the "existing" phase....then name the floor plan as existing.

If you are in that drawing, when you draw walls, they will come in as existing walls automatically. Then, you can go into your demo and existing floor plan and start demolishing any other wall you need to demolish.

Obviously, if you have your existing walls already drawn in, but as a new construction wall, then you need to select all the existing walls and change their phase to existing.

I hope it makes sense...once you get used to the notion, it all will make perfect sense...

Let me know if I can help more.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntnik View Post
    I started a project. I set up two plans, one with the intent of showing existing and demo the other to show existing and new. My walls all come in as "new" construction even though i am am trying to show existing. Phase is "new construction" (that doesn't make sense but it seems to be the only way i can make the walls appear as outlines) Phase Filter (Show Previous + Demo). My new work plan is working fine (Show Previous + New/New Construction)

I am drawing in my "Existing/Demo Plan" and i am having to change properties per every individual wall to "Existing".....seemed like they should just come as existing if i set the view properties to existing, and they do, but they display as new construction. I can see the components of the wall system as apposed to the walls showing as outlines.

Português - Revit Moderator fernando's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It's not easy to explain that here, but is very simple to work with phases.

If you create your walls in the phase "new constrution" create a new phase after that one where you are going to see the demolisd objects and the real new ones, that way you don't need to change manually every object phase.

Login to Give a bone

After you open a new project:

-Duplicate a few plans
    -Change the new plans to the existing phase
    -Rename as required or match existing.
    -Then saveas your new "Existing" template

You will be worshiped and admired by your co-office occupants!

ejc

Login to Give a bone

ntik;
    Just to make sure you're clear on this. When people here are saying "duplicate your plan" or "create a copy of your plan", they mean Duplicate the View (right-click in the Project Browser)

They do NOT mean select everything & hit the COPY button.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

also remember that copying, mirroring or offsetting an Existing ibject while in a New phase will create the new copies in the New phase, not the Existing phase. That is, phase properties are not maintained when you copy - the phase of the view you are in trumps all.

Don't get me started on groups