Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing Isometric

Login to Give a bone

Default Plumbing Isometric

Is it possible to create an annotated plumbing isometric in Revit MEP like the attached plan? I am seeing that tags cannot be applied in a 3D view. What has been done that works? I am looking for a solution to gaining isometric views by virtue that the model is designed in 3D.

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Plumbing Isometric

I am not going to lie, this looks like a job for a drafting view
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

Login to Give a bone

So, would this be to obtain the view from Revit in 3D and create a drafting view from that? Is there direct way to get from a 3D view to a drafting view?

Login to Give a bone

You could set & save your 3D isometric view, and then export it as a dwg, then import/link it into a drafting view, and annotate it there.

The only pita is that you have to manually update it by re-exporting it and then reload it under the manage links dialog, each time it changes....

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Schematic drawings contain nothing but text, symbology and symbolic lines. As these items are largely ignored in a Revit 3D view, I can't quite understand what purpose a 3d schematic would serve?? Seems like it is just making more work!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Michael, there are a lot of local districts which will not take a set of drawings for permit without an isometric (unfortunately, that's the only way some inspectors know what is suppose to be built)..

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jason.combs View Post
    So, would this be to obtain the view from Revit in 3D and create a drafting view from that? Is there direct way to get from a 3D view to a drafting view?
    Jason, I think Andrew has it correct. The only caveat I have found to that, is that if you take the 3d exported dwg file and import it, sometimes I have gotten the full 3d image (this applies to using a section box). In that case, put the view you want on a sheet, then export it. That will "flatten" the image.

Login to Give a bone

Another thought that I'm exploring is to set the 3D view to the iso display desired, set to course display and set the visibility of any other objects - like fixtures - as desired for the schematic. Then export the view to dwg format and open - bite my tongue - in AutoCAD MEP. It is bundled after all, with Revit MEP. AMEP has some great capabilities. The fixture symbols and linework are viewed and can be annotated. This may open up other questions with paperspace and 3D versus 2D flat schematic, etc. The point is to use the Revit 3D model data as much as possible and provide the end deliverable. This at least saves the effort of redrafting to represent model data already created.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Skisouth View Post
    Michael, there are a lot of local districts which will not take a set of drawings for permit without an isometric (unfortunately, that's the only way some inspectors know what is suppose to be built)..

I think we have a misunderstanding.
    Yeah, we produce isometrics sometimes. Depends on the project. But isometrics can still be produced in 2D as they always have been in the past. My point was, what advantage does a 3D isometric have over a traditional 2D iso? What is the value of being able to spin them around and do orbits etc. As I said, their contents is 100% text, symbols and symbolic lines.

Login to Give a bone

Why not place the live 3D on a sheet and annotate directly on the sheet? You are limited with what you can do (no filled regions for example) but you might get close to what you're trying to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast