• Maya 2008

0 0%
  • Something Else

1 16.67%

Thread: 3DS or Maya??? Help!

All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question 3DS or Maya??? Help!

I wish there was a smiley pulling his hair out right about now... Here's the scoop. I work in Landscape Architecture, but my background is Civil Engineering. Not very artistic in most aspects. My training and expertise is with AutoCAD vanilla (up to 2008 now). I have worked with 3D in the past within AutoCAD (circa R12 days), Rhinoceros (many, many moons ago), and currently SketchUp with Sandbox enhancements. SketchUp is just too dumbed down for me. I don't mind simple interfaces and such (I am a Command: line freak), but SketchUp is just too extreme.

Our firm has been getting into photo-realistic renderings more and more lately. I know Photoshop, and use it all the time for 2D rendering. As for 3D, we just use SketchUp, which has been OK until now. We now have a greater demand for ultra-realistic modeling with animation. For example, a client recently approached us to model and animate a site fly-through for a 600-acre development . It really burns me that we had to outsource it. Which brings me to where I am now... Which do I need to learn, 3DS or Maya??? I've read a pile of reviews of both, and both have some pretty hefty credentials behind them. Could anyone give me some advice here? If you need more info on what we're looking for, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice given! I really appreciate it.

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 3DS or Maya??? Help!

Well, I use 3ds Max, so I think I may be a bit biased, but I'm okay with that...

I've always thought of Maya as more of a DCC app, creating fantastic environments and wonderful characters. I often use CAD drawings (in the form of dwgs or others) to help me model my scene, and while I can't speak for Maya, Max does this very well.

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I also am biased toward MAX, but i own XSI and use the MAYA PLE so i can say that you will find more support in the industry, for arch viz stuff, if you are using MAX or VIZ. Simply more people using it for that...and its extremely well suited i might add. There are also a hand full of really great rendering engines for doing phot real stuff available for MAX/VIZ. Mental Ray is quite capable and built into MAX/VIZ, there is also VRay(my personal favourite), Final Render, Maxwell, Brazil R/S and Fryrender. So you definetly have options. If budget is not a concern, get MAX and as many render machines as you can...oh and pick up VRay.

Login to Give a bone

Budgets are not that big of a concern really. Thanks for all the input so far. How does VIS and other rendering engines play into the mix? I'm guessing they are built do do different things specifically, but are they add-ons or separate programs? What would you recommend for doing primarily landscape and hardscapes, with a little architecture thrown in for good measure?

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I think you'd do just fine sticking with mr or vray. They both run inside of Max or Viz.

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I agree with that...though my bias is toward VRay. I've seen some people with scenes consisting of 11 billion polys render just fine in VRay. It handles foliage extremely wella nd the GI is really fast. I'm going to stop before this sounds like a commercial. Try MR out first...if it fits the bill stick with it...if not...give VRay a whirl.

Make sure you get some good workstations though...for working and rendering!

Login to Give a bone

MAX will deal much better with your existing CAD data than Maya will.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

I was wondering about that myself. I can't tell what interfaces to AutoCAD anymore...Autodesk has expanded itself so much in the past ten years. Thanks for your input too Steve, much appreciated!