See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Curve Label Problems

Login to Give a bone

Default Curve Label Problems

Has anyone else had issues with the placement of curve labels, specifically: not centering the label on the curve (even snapping to mid)? Also, when you turn the background mask on for a style, is the mask placed correctly for you? (see attached). Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Curve Label Problems

I have found that the option "Allow Curved Text" is better set to false especially if you have background mask on and if you want the labeling centered on the curve. Setting the option "Allow Curved Text" to false gives you more control over the placement of the label i.e. the "y" offset and the justification of the text being centered on the attachment point. Don't forget to make sure that the label text justification in the "format" tab in the "contents" editor agrees with the text "attachment" you have picked. For example if you have the text "attachment" set to anything with "left" in the name then justify the the text to left too. This can cause some weirdness with the labels at times if they don't match and this is true in any of the other label styles too.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by caddjockey2000 View Post
    I have found that the option "Allow Curved Text" is better set to false especially if you have background mask on and if you want the labeling centered on the curve. Setting the option "Allow Curved Text" to false gives you more control over the placement of the label i.e. the "y" offset and the justification of the text being centered on the attachment point. Don't forget to make sure that the label text justification in the "format" tab in the "contents" editor agrees with the text "attachment" you have picked. For example if you have the text "attachment" set to anything with "left" in the name then justify the the text to left too. This can cause some weirdness with the labels at times if they don't match and this is true in any of the other label styles too.
    Thanks, Todd.

I've verified (again) that the Attachement property was Top Center and the Justification property was set to Center on the format tab, but no joy. I have also tried changing fonts, thinking that maybe the problem was in the font definition: nada. Different machine with different video card and specs: same result.

I was hoping to be able to use this feature, as I think the curve labels look better with curved text, but it looks/sounds like it's still in development. I think they should have waited until they could at least get the mask to match the location of the text before releasing it; I could have dealt with having to drag the attach point by eyeball for now. ~shrug~ Maybe in 2012.

Thanks again for the help.

Login to Give a bone

This issue has existed for some time now. It's very frustrating.

Then there's also the fact that curved text behaves in a very different fashion for Parcel Labels and for General Curve Labels. That's pretty irritating, too.

I hear rumors of a "more-robust labeling engine" in the works. I greet this news with ambivalence, because the current label design is so bad I'm glad they're reworking it, but I'm afraid of how many versions it will take to get a "more-robust labeling engine" working...

(not to mention, we'll probably have to redo all our label styles again... boy those styles are a HUGE time-sink...)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sinc View Post
    This issue has existed for some time now. It's very frustrating.

Then there's also the fact that curved text behaves in a very different fashion for Parcel Labels and for General Curve Labels. That's pretty irritating, too.

I hear rumors of a "more-robust labeling engine" in the works. I greet this news with ambivalence, because the current label design is so bad I'm glad they're reworking it, but I'm afraid of how many versions it will take to get a "more-robust labeling engine" working...

(not to mention, we'll probably have to redo all our label styles again... boy those styles are a HUGE time-sink...)
    Thanks, Sinc.

I've submitted a support request. It'll be interesting to see what comes back.

I'm just now starting to learn C3D so we can eventually use it instead of LDD, and I'm not sure this is the way we want to go for what we do.

And what's up with not having General Tag Labels? I don't want to create a parcel or an alignment just so I can apply tag labels to, say, an easement line or a stream thread with short segments that need to be dimensioned. What do you do in that situation; Do you create a parcel, or an alignment, or something else?

Login to Give a bone

I use parcel segments for that.

You can actually turn a bunch of lines into Parcel Segments even if they aren't closed. They won't form any Parcels, but you'll be able to use tag labels on the segments.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sinc View Post
    I use parcel segments for that.

You can actually turn a bunch of lines into Parcel Segments even if they aren't closed. They won't form any Parcels, but you'll be able to use tag labels on the segments.
    OK. Cool. I think I can work with that.

Thanks, Sinc.