Thread: beam details no web showing up when beam is sloping

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default beam details no web showing up when beam is sloping

Hi,
    I have a problem with detailing beams that are sloping. To my understanding the web of the beams are only symbolic lines which is why they are not showing up in a beam that is sloping as it is not parallel to the view.
    How are you dealing with this? Am I missing something obvious here as this must be an issue on almost every job with sloping rafters.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jonas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: beam details no web showing up when beam is sloping

Jonas,

Symbolic lines will only be visible in views that are parallel to them.

I have attached a .rvt file with a detail view parallel to the beam looking down on it, and the webs show up perfect (also see the attached screen shot)

I note that you are using Revit Structure 2008 so will not be able to open the attached .rvt file unless you have 2009?

If you take an elevation on the sloping beam, then a detail view parallel to the beam looking down on it you will see the web.

If you had the time the only solution I can think of (a painful one at that) is to sketch detail lines in plan view at the location of the web faces and align/lock the lines to the beam web, so if you had to change the beam size further into the design stage the lines would move with the web.

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by G Jowett; 2009-05-13 at 01:57 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: beam details no web showing up when beam is sloping

I have had a look at using model lines in the family editor to show the hidden faces.

Sketch the hidden lines in plan view along the web, set the plane in elevation view to be the top flange of the beam.

On an individual beam it is great, it will work when the beam is sloping.

The problem is I was unsuccessful in my attempts to lock the model line to the web of the beam, whilst using the top flange as the model line's work plane......

This results in the "hidden lines" being incorrect when loading a different beam size using a type catelogue.

I have put the question to our local reseller.

It's an interesting one, how can something so simple be so complicated??

Regards

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: beam details no web showing up when beam is sloping

You should be able to achieve this with model lines, you just need to add some additional reference planes to your framing family and paramaterise for the web thickness, then you can sketch your model lines based on the top of member reference plane

But I think it is worth considering if you really need to see the web as hidden lines in this scenario? The plan view is showing a raking member, At best any representation of this member is showing the member raking beyond so a outline of the flanges should be enough?

I would avoid detailing in this sort of view in most cases anyway

If you wanted to detail the bracing and strut connection detail a parallel section would be better (if your strut is really rotated like you have in the attached file)

Login to Give a bone

Maybe but that would be a pain in the a*se having to adjust the parameter every time you use a different beam size....

I don't think it is overly important to show the web in plan view for a raking beam, but it is something so simple and surely shouldn't be this difficult to achieve....?

Regards

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.jowett View Post
    Maybe but that would be a pain in the a*se having to adjust the parameter every time you use a different beam size....
    Regards
    The parameter should already be there updated by the type catalog, you just wont have a reference plane in the family because it is adjusting the profile for the sweep

You just need to add the parameter for the web thickness and the model lines will update for each size from the type catalog.

I would suggest that you only do this when required and create a project specfic family

Login to Give a bone

Have you actually tried to make this work?

You cannot lock reference planes to the beam web. Where the web meets the flange there is a radius, in a Ref. level plan view you are unable to draw a reference plane that is "snapped" to the vertical line of the beam web. So you will be unable to lock the reference plane, and in turn unable to add and lock model lines to that plane.

The response I had from our reseller was to just use a single model line down the centre line of the beam, with a work plan set to the top of the beam flange.

This would work but only shows one line, not a line for each face of the web.

Regards

Login to Give a bone

You just need to add two reference planes, equally space about the centre

Then paramertise with the already set Tw parameter (which is feeding into the profile sweep)

I have used the same method on projects previously

Login to Give a bone

Ben,

It does work, once you explained it clearly.

Thanks.

Jonas,

I have attached a U.B family so you can look at the method and repeat this with your family.

Regards