See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Air Device Tag

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Custom Air Device Tag

Anyone know how best to create a custom Air Device Tag?

The default comes in like this:
    MARK
    SIZE
    FLOW

What I would like to have is this:
    SIZE MARK
    FLOW

So far I open up the drawing that has the tag style:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\ACD-MEP 2008\enu\Styles\Imperial\Mechanical Equipment Tags & Schedules (US Imperial).dwg
    Then I copied the block named "Aecb_Mechanical_Air_Terminal_Device_Tag" to be "CustomTagForMe" and edited it to include only two lines of text (sizemark and flow).

Then I insert the tag into a new drawing and assign it to an air device. The tag is able to obtain the flow information from the air device, but not the size & mark...

Must be doing something wrong - any ideas?

-Buzz

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Custom Air Device Tag

I figured this out and figured I would share the steps with anyone who might want to do this (or any custom Tag).

1. Add a new Property Definition by clicking Menu > Format > Style Manager > Documentation > Property Set Definitions, for my example, add a new Definition under the GTagAirTerminalObjects.

2. Name it "Size-Mark" and have the formula be this: RESULT = "[ConnectionSize] [Mark]"

3. Insert a standard Air Terminal Tag from the Tool Palette.

4. Explode the tag 3 times and edit the properties of the attributes as necessary (prompt, value, etc.) - Note: you may need to change the text height of the attributes to show up correctly after the tag is made.

5. Click on Menu > Format > Define Schedule Tag and select the attributes

6. Enter the name of the Tag (for example "CustomAirDeviceTag"), change the "Type" for the attributes to be "Property" and change the Property Set and Property Definitions to be what you want. In my case, The Set is GTagAirTerminalObjects and the Definitions are "FlowRate" and "Size-Mark", click ok and choose the insertion point.

7. Drag and drop the Tag to the Tool Pallete and rename / change picture etc. for it.

8. Buy me a beer

-Buzz

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    I figured this out and figured I would share the steps with anyone who might want to do this (or any custom Tag).

1. Add a new Property Definition by clicking Menu > Format > Style Manager > Documentation > Property Set Definitions, for my example, add a new Definition under the GTagAirTerminalObjects.

2. Name it "Size-Mark" and have the formula be this: RESULT = "[ConnectionSize] [Mark]"

2a
    Buy me a beer

3. Insert a standard Air Terminal Tag from the Tool Palette.

4. Explode the tag 3 times and edit the properties of the attributes as necessary (prompt, value, etc.) - Note: you may need to change the text height of the attributes to show up correctly after the tag is made.

4a
    Buy me a beer

5. Click on Menu > Format > Define Schedule Tag and select the attributes

6. Enter the name of the Tag (for example "CustomAirDeviceTag"), change the "Type" for the attributes to be "Property" and change the Property Set and Property Definitions to be what you want. In my case, The Set is GTagAirTerminalObjects and the Definitions are "FlowRate" and "Size-Mark", click ok and choose the insertion point.

6a
    Buy me a beer

7. Drag and drop the Tag to the Tool Pallete and rename / change picture etc. for it.

8. Buy me a beer

-Buzz
    Hi Buzz,

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. It looks like you forgot a few steps. I went ahead and added them to your post.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Shoot, I am so happy that I finally got this to work, what the heck, first rounds on me!

-Buzz

Login to Give a bone

This is great! I had not figured this out, so I had gone and done very similar, but made it WAY more complicated by making it a label, instead of a tag. At my company, we have a two line diffuser tag as well, with the first line showing two letters (i.e. SA).

The first letter is the system (Supply, Return, Exhaust) and the second corresponds to a size in our diffuser schedule (A/B/C/D/E). The second is just the CFM.

I made a property set that would grab the system, and automatically generate the second letter based on the CFM I input on the object. The second line was pretty simple as it was just the flow.

This has posed a problem in MEP 2009 because it severely slowed the peformance of MEP (anytime it needs to regen). I am going to see if this fixes that entire problem. If it does, I would need to send you an entire case of you preferred Brew!

Login to Give a bone

I have been able to get the tag to work, but it comes in HUGE and I cannot figure out how to make it come in at the correct size (Annotation Scale).

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Ryan,

Yeah, I had the same problem with my scaling too. I think it has to do with the annotation scale. What I ended up doing to fix it was just scale the block down before creating the Tag. I made a video showing this here:

http://www.geniusoftllc.com/mvparts/videos/tag.asp

Have fun!

-Buzz

Login to Give a bone

I just saw it. Very good. Will see if this works for me.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Buzz, Ryan, and Scott,

I just came across this thread, since I'm also in need of creating a custom tag exactly like the one Buzz teaches, except I have one question: in step 7, how do I 'drag and drop' the tag into the Tool Palette? And where does this store the tag, so that I can eventually share it across multiple users?

Buzz, the idea of making a custom Property Definition is (humbly) genuis, and Ryan, having the tag automatically name itself based on the system is brilliant as well. Hopefully I'll be able to get both of those features to work.

Thanks for the post,
    Brad

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bradg View Post
    Hi Buzz, Ryan, and Scott,

I just came across this thread, since I'm also in need of creating a custom tag exactly like the one Buzz teaches, except I have one question: in step 7, how do I 'drag and drop' the tag into the Tool Palette? And where does this store the tag, so that I can eventually share it across multiple users?

Buzz, the idea of making a custom Property Definition is (humbly) genuis, and Ryan, having the tag automatically name itself based on the system is brilliant as well. Hopefully I'll be able to get both of those features to work.

Thanks for the post,
    Brad
    Hi Brad,

I'll answer your second question first, The tag is stored in the drawing it was created in. I have a drawing in our network drive where I keep all the tags I have created. To share this among multiple users can be done in two ways. The easiest is to have all users open the drawing with the tag and drop it in their tool palette. The other way is to create a network tool palette that everyone has access to and create the tag on this palette.

As for your first question, Drag and drop is just as it sounds. Create the tag and then left click it and while holding down the left click button hover over the tool palette and let go of the mouse button.

Hope this helps,
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast