Thread: Subassembly modification

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Subassembly modification

Hi
    I‘am using AutoCAD Civil 3D and working with RailSingle subassembly and I tried to change the Rail details parameters. I opened the RailSingle.vb with Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 and changed the numbers where it is written:
    'Rail details parameters(unit is feet),if rail detail changed,pls modify it here'
    After modification I can not save the file with the same name and path, and I had a message of: “the operation could not be completed” nor I could not run the debug function. I will appreciate it if some one could help me with RailSingle.vb modification.

Thanks in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Subassembly modification

It is difficult to tell where your problem may lie.

It is not enough to just open the .VB file in Visual Studio. You must open the entire project - the C3DStockSubassemblies.vbproj file. This project also resides inside a bigger collection called a Solution - the C3DStockSubassemblies.sln file. I can't remember if this one exists by default, but if not, you can just create a new solution in VS and then open the C3DStockSubassemblies.vbproj in your new solution.

This project actually includes a fair number of .vb files. After making your changes to the code, you would recompile the entire project, creating a new C3DStockSubassemblies.dll to replace the default one in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2008\enu.

It is actually a good idea to copy all these files to your own working directory, and do not change the ones in the Autodesk support folder. Then you may also want to compile your new, modified subassemblies into a dll with a different name, and leave the default C3DStockSubassemblies.dll alone. That way, if you ever get any C3D drawings from someone else, you know their corridors will not get confused by any customizations you make to the stock subassemblies. Similarly, it might be a good idea to just copy the Rail subassembly, and create a new subassembly with a different name. That will ensure that you don't confuse your customized version with the stock subassembly.

You may want to go to http://www.theswamp.org and look around; there is a fair bit of information there on how to use .NET with Autocad.