Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Styles templates

Login to Give a bone

Default Styles templates

While I was at AU I asked an instructor about template drawings and the time to set them up to our standards. I was told by several people that there are tempate files here on augi that are downloadable. I am in charge of the standards. It may be easier to change our standards to match the styles than the other way around but I can not find them. It would be great to start w/ a couple of examples or a base to start with besides the ones provided.

Anybody have any ideas where to find dwt files to download?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Styles templates

Civil 3D comes with several "fully loaded" templates. Have you examined those yet?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

yes I have. I realize that is a good starting point but when I was AU the instructors kept harping on how you will need to constant modify and add styles. I had asked for a copy of his and he laughed cuz he was also a consultant that set up companies templates. Several people over heard and sent me here. I have been on here a lot (lurking not posting) but have never seen a template file for downloading.

Login to Give a bone

The OOTB templates that come with C3D are a very good starting point. They contain several styles for almost all objects. Not sure what more you are looking for. I have not seen any templates here either.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Civil Engineering Moderator civil3Dguide's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Unfortunately you will not find a dwt to download and even though there is a forum for sharing styles http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=427 you'll find if you haven't already that people are not to big on sharing what may have taken them a long time to create or may get them in trouble with their employers, even if they wanted to share their template.

I did find one just yesterday on Autodesk Civil Community site, and since it was shared there I don't see any reason it couldn't be shared here as well, I wish I could remember the persons name that shared their dwt to give the credit. Anyways I'll try to upload it, in the forum linked above.

Login to Give a bone

I'm sorry, but the max. size of a dwt allowed to upload here is to small, so I can't upload this dwt that I found, nor will most people be able to upload any that they may have and want to share, but if you could go to the other site that I mentioned you can get it there.

Login to Give a bone

I managed to upload the template as a zip file, after receiving some help about the size limit. You can find it in the before mentioned forum.

I could stop if I wanted to dfarris75's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

All I can say is I'd have no problems sharing a template, however I don't have a complete one yet. Working on it.
    On the other hand, it is good to do your own so you are familiar with all of the styles and settings. If you get one from someone else you'll have one to work with, but when someone comes and asks you to add something or change something if you don't know how you'll look silly and unprofessional.
    When it comes down to it you can start a template file and just add to it as you create the different styles for your projects and before you know it you'll have a template full of goodies.

Login to Give a bone

That is great advice and I would agree that is the best path to take, I learned so much more by having to create a template or really edit one of the stock NCS.DWTs that came with C3D. I think you would be very hard pressed to get one from anywhere that you were completely happy with and didn't need to edit it often.

Login to Give a bone

I agree with them too. I wouldn't understand as much as I do if I hadn't jumped off into the style pool with my floaty arms on. I discovered so much more than they tell you about the softwares abilities. I've even found things that our so called expert consultants didn't know about. I think you should invest in a pair of floaty arms and hop in the pool.

Even after you get a template set up, you will find that you often go back to it to fix something that comes up later. Consider a template a work ALWAYS in progress.

Good Luck, and there's always someone on here to help you out if the water gets rough in the pool. They've always managed to help me out when I had questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast