See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Rename File from SSM?

Login to Give a bone

Default Rename File from SSM?

Hi gang.

I have a sheet set and we'd like to rename/renumber the sheets due to a change in organization.

We have had multiple people create new sheets from the SSM, and for some reason, all the files created by one person lack the ability to change the file name. When you right click on the sheets made by this person, you only have the ability to change the number and name, but not the file.

Files created by the 3 other people allow editing of the file name just fine.

Is there a setting somewhere that could create this challenge? I looked in OPTIONS, but didnt' see anything.

For now, my work around involved removing the sheet, renaming it in explorer, and then re-adding the sheet. Much less fun for an already annoying process.

Thanks a bunch.

--c

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rename File from SSM?

please forgive the obvious, but is the file open at the same time that you are trying to rename?
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Not the obvious fix this time. I suspect the answer will be a 'no duh' moment, but it's not as simple as having the file open.

We've gone through and tried on different machines with different users and we are now evenly balanced at 3 who can create editable sheets, and 3 who can not. All 6 can edit the file names made by the lucky 3, and noone can edit the file names made by the unlucky 3.

I've attached two images of our situation to see if it can help anyone else to reach the impending 'no duh' solution.

Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

this may be a punt, but are the 'xref loading' settings (options) the same for all the computers?
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

It may not be AutoCad

It could be the attribute properties of the actual file (Read only)

and the user might not know if the dialog display dose not pop up and tell them

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Rename File from SSM?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N View Post
    this may be a punt, but are the 'xref loading' settings (options) the same for all the computers?
    I work with Dyroff...'xref loading' seems to have been the problem. We changed everyones computers to match "ENABLED WITH COPY" and all of the new drawings we create, we can make the proper changes to the file names. However, we still cannot change the older files. Is there a way to change the older files that were created before we made the changes to the 'xref loading' setting?

Thanks guys!!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pgartner View Post
    I work with Dyroff...'xref loading' seems to have been the problem. We changed everyones computers to match "ENABLED WITH COPY" and all of the new drawings we create, we can make the proper changes to the file names. However, we still cannot change the older files. Is there a way to change the older files that were created before we made the changes to the 'xref loading' setting?

Thanks guys!!
    r-click on the SSM project name, and try "resave all sheets". maybe they just need an option re-set?
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N View Post
    This did indeed help...but it didn't fix all of our problems.

I did a lot of digging and finally found a solution for our problem. We simply had to move all of the drawings out of the directory...create a brand new directory with the same name...and move the drawings back. This worked for every Sheet Set we could not rename our drawings and drawing files.

Thanks for all of your help guys.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Could you please explain further? You mean a Drive and not folder (since you cannot name two folders with the same names on same drive).

Please I need the steps you took.
    You first moved all the files to an new directory with same name, you did not say what you did next (please excuse my "slowness").
    Did you just create the same name in another directory and then moved them back to the original directory?
    Did you open AutoCAD or reopened the SSM?

In my offcie one person (CAD station) can rename the file names in SSM but not the rest. What would be controling this function of letting some have the ability to rename filename in SSM but not others.
    Last edited by omorah; 2008-11-04 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Added more relevant information.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Or maybe a User Rights Issue. The User may have inability to change Filenames in that Folder or Drive.