See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: shared parameters

Login to Give a bone

Default shared parameters

I would like to create the shared parameters within an access database and then read them out into the txt-file. The problem seams to me, is the creation of the GUID. Is there a way of doing this?
    In a next step I want to generate a type catalogue, which is suposed to be read into revit. This hopefully helps me to create all types within my external database. My idea is, to just have the geometry of my project in Revit.
    Does anybody have a good tutorial about how to export those parameters and their values into an access project database again? Even Revit mentions that this is possible it never worked.

Jens Higgen, Germany

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: shared parameters

Now I found out how to export the parameters. I can give you a good description of how to do that. Hopefully you can help me with the parameter import.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Forget what I just said. Your idea sounds cool. It's a step forward in type- and version management.
    You'll need to edit the Excel database to make it look like a type catalogue, and export it as a tab separated file. The file needs to have the same name as the component, and you'll need to reload the component afterward.
    Last edited by clogboy; 2007-12-18 at 12:32 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jhiggen View Post
    The problem seams to me, is the creation of the GUID. Is there a way of doing this?

In a next step I want to generate a type catalogue, which is suposed to be read into revit.
    I've never tried it, but I'm guessing a GUID is just a GUID and Revit wouldn't care how or when it was generated. So if you are using Access, you could use VBA to generate a GUID for your shared param. Note that the shared parameter file is only relevant during content creation. After that it isn't used by Revit. You'll have to experiment to see if it does work - as I said - I haven't tried it.

Type catalogs are much more simple to create with a database or Excel. There are some good examples for Excel floating around here.

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Just out of common interest, what is a GUID? I know GUI stands for Graphical User Interface, does that have anything to do with it?
    If one needs a GUI to generate a type catalog, I'd use a professional script language like PHP or perhaps JS or Perl.

Login to Give a bone

GUID = Globally Unique Identifier!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bram.weinreder View Post
    Just out of common interest, what is a GUID? I know GUI stands for Graphical User Interface, does that have anything to do with it?
    If one needs a GUI to generate a type catalog, I'd use a professional script language like PHP or perhaps JS or Perl.
    Or just make one online.... http://www.guidgenerator.com/
    Do the rest in notepad....

Login to Give a bone

Hi folks:

I have a related issue. If the same custom parameter was created in two different shared parameter files (the client has multiple offices, and they have a procedure for replicating the shared parameter file over the WAN so that they are the same, but in this case, it apparently did not happen) and then loaded into a project (in some cases via loaded families, and some other cases via project parameters) is there any way to unify these two parameters to make them one?

Obviously in the Revit UI, the user sees the same field twice: i.e. "Item Code" and "Item Code", but to Revit they are different. Naturally, this is causing problems as users are inputting data into the wrong field, and worse, have no easy way to tell which is the correct one.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by paubin View Post
    Hi folks:

....is there any way to unify these two parameters to make them one?
    No. They will need to decide which is the "correct" one and then recreate the parameters in the incorrect content files. There is no other way around this as the GUID is then embeded in the RFA at that point and can't be changed without destroying and recreating the parameter.

Login to Give a bone

I suspected as much, but always nice to get a second opinion. Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast