Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: View Range question

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default View Range question

I am working on a roof plan for a 1 story house (10 foot bearing). I set my view range so I can see the roof layout, but I would like to see the walls and windows in a beyond line style under this roof. So I set my view depth to -6 foot from the my bearing level, but I can not see the walls and windows. It is weird because I can see the furniture in the floor in a beyond line style, just as I want to see the walls and windoes. Do I have to change something in the visibility for the walls or line styles?

Thanks, I apprecciate any help.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: View Range question

Try using an "underlay" of the Floor Plan in the Roof Plan view.

Just a thought.....

cheers.....

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: View Range question

In 2008 you have new tools, as options to achieve many types of views...

First of all, to see the walls and windows, you most likely need to set your view depth much lower...the furniture is a different thing, that since they are not affected by the cut plane, if there is any, even invisible, part of the family, it might show the whole family....

Having said that, if you set your view depth to be as low as possible, and if you want to see what is inside the roof, but still see the outline, then after you have the main roof and above view set up the way you want it, and when you change the view depth to the level of the floor you want to see....you can then select the roof (or roofs) and override the element and make it "Transparent"....now, you will see the outline of the roof and anything under it.

If you give more information on what you want to accomplish for the view, some of us can give you a few more "tips"...

Take care,[
    quote=carlos9t;793318]I am working on a roof plan for a 1 story house (10 foot bearing). I set my view range so I can see the roof layout, but I would like to see the walls and windows in a beyond line style under this roof. So I set my view depth to -6 foot from the my bearing level, but I can not see the walls and windows. It is weird because I can see the furniture in the floor in a beyond line style, just as I want to see the walls and windoes. Do I have to change something in the visibility for the walls or line styles?

Thanks, I apprecciate any help.[/quote]

Login to Give a bone

use an underlay to show the walls temporarily, then select the linework tool to the "beyond" linetype and click the wall lines you want to show up on your roof plan. They will remain attached to the wall, so if you make a change to the wall, it will be reflected in your roof plan. The other option would be to draw model or detail lines and lock them to the walls below (use this if you can't get the linework tool to show what you want).

caveat: I'm still relatively new to Revit, but this seemed like the easiest, most consistent way...

hth,
    Wes

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for all the tips. I really appreciate them. But I just want to understand how the view range works. According to the Revit Tutorials, all the elements in the view depth will appear in a beyond line style, right?.
    So, getting back to my example (1 story house 10 f. bearing-level 2) I have my Top plane at 10' above level 2, cut plane 9' above level 2 and bottom plane at level 2. And my view depth is 5' below level 2. with all these parameters I can see the furniture in the first floor but I can not see the outline of my walls and windows (and this what I want), and I do not know why.
    The weird thing is that if I move my bottom plane 2' above level 2, I see the outline of my walls. I am kind of confuse with this. I think my question is what is the difference between the bottom plane and the view depth? .
    I know I can cheat using the line work tool, but, again, I want to figure this thing out using the View range.

Any others tips.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Can you send some screen shots?

There is the primary range and there is the view depth...primary range will show objects in the normal object styles, and anything between the primary range and the view depth will be shown with the <Beyond> linestyle...but if there is a floor/roof in the way, you won't see what is under the floor/roof.....

If you want to underlay a plan, that is different, but with the view range it won't see 'thru" objects....so a screen shot will help us figure out where these walls are and why they don't show up...

Technically, you can set the View depth to "unlimited" or the level below and it should work...

If you want to see thru the floor, then make the floor transparent, or to place the level as an underlay...

Quote Originally Posted by carlos9t View Post
    Thanks for all the tips. I really appreciate them. But I just want to understand how the view range works. According to the Revit Tutorials, all the elements in the view depth will appear in a beyond line style, right?.
    So, getting back to my example (1 story house 10 f. bearing-level 2) I have my Top plane at 10' above level 2, cut plane 9' above level 2 and bottom plane at level 2. And my view depth is 5' below level 2. with all these parameters I can see the furniture in the first floor but I can not see the outline of my walls and windows (and this what I want), and I do not know why.
    The weird thing is that if I move my bottom plane 2' above level 2, I see the outline of my walls. I am kind of confuse with this. I think my question is what is the difference between the bottom plane and the view depth? .
    I know I can cheat using the line work tool, but, again, I want to figure this thing out using the View range.

Any others tips.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Even If Iset my depth vew unlimited, I still do not see the outline of my wall, but I see the furniture.

Here is a silly question: how do you create a screen shot from revit?. I see many times screen shots from others users, but I do not how to do it.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by carlos9t View Post
    Even If Iset my depth vew unlimited, I still do not see the outline of my wall, but I see the furniture.

Here is a silly question: how do you create a screen shot from revit?. I see many times screen shots from others users, but I do not how to do it.

Thanks.
    Whenever your screen is ready, just hold on to the CTRL key, and then hit the PrtSc key (usually on the top right side of the keyboard) and then, go to a word email, or a blank image from photoshop or something and paste (CTRL-V) into it.

I can't explain the furniture issue...but are your walls under the roof? If so, you will never be able to see them under the roof...because the roof is going to block them.

If by setting the View depth to "unlimited" you see the whole roof below your upper floor, then select the roof, right mouse click, select override graphics and then make it transparent....

You will still see the outline of the roof and below the roof you will see the walls, doors, etc. that the roof is hiding..... If I am totally not picturing what you are trying to do...I apologize...but the screen capture of the 3D view and your plan view will help immensly....

I could stop if I wanted to zanzibarbob7's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Carlos,

Scott Davis told me about Snagit for capturing and marking up images, http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp It's much more useful than a screen capture and well worth the cost.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Most newer versions of MS Office come with a handy little app called One Note. It has a screen capture utility built in that I've found to be very useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast