Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dimensions Auto-Layering

I could stop if I wanted to rdaniel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Dimensions Auto-Layering

In ADT 2006, dimensions would auto-layer to the A-Anno-Dims layer rather than the current layer when a dimension command was executed. In ACA 2008, however, dimensions are coming in on the current layer. Anyone have any ideas how to make them auto-layer? (I know this can be done by creating dimension tools on a tool palette, but I want to make it for any dimension command).

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimensions Auto-Layering

AEC layer automatically to A-Anno-Dims. I'm pretty sure standard Autocad dimensions have always dropped on the current layer unless there was a controlling customization added. You might want to investigate Autolay. It is a free utility that is posted on the AutoCAD customization forum on the Autodesk site. I have also accomplished what you are seeking by adding short snippets of code to the various dimensioning command macros. Let me know if you need more info.

Andrew
    Last edited by libbybapa; 2007-12-20 at 01:33 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I would like to do the same thing. Problem is, when I use a dim string from the toolbar, it has layer keying, but when I use my keyboard shortcuts, it doesn't. They both refer to the same command. What gives?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by libbybapa View Post
    'm pretty sure standard Autocad dimensions have always dropped on the current layer unless there was a controlling customization added.
    It's possible that there is a customization script that was added by our former "CAD Manager." I've been digging through the lisp routines that we run at startup and don't see one pointing dimensions to A-Anno-Dims, but that doesn't mean that its not there. It is possible that if one is there, that it is not working now with the new layer formatting in 2008. I'm going to do a little more digging....

Login to Give a bone

Ok, I figured out this was a feature of KCS Tools by Krupa CADD Solutions. KCS has several auto-layering tools that cause notes and dims to come in on a programmed layer. They are really nice features that no longer work since layers have been modified in 08. However, KCS does have a new release for 2008 that includes the auto-layering feature and its only $200 for a network license ($200 on top of the 4 billion we now have in licenses and subscriptions).

Login to Give a bone

I have also accomplished what you are seeking by adding short snippets of code to the various dimensioning command macros. Let me know if you need more info.
    What type of snippets? Are you willing to share?

Does it have the problem the noid listed below? Or can you just assign a keyboard shortcut to run the macro?

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    I would like to do the same thing. Problem is, when I use a dim string from the toolbar, it has layer keying, but when I use my keyboard shortcuts, it doesn't. They both refer to the same command. What gives?
    Which command are you triggering?

Andrew

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rdaniel View Post
    What type of snippets? Are you willing to share?

Does it have the problem the noid listed below? Or can you just assign a keyboard shortcut to run the macro?

Thanks.
    I created a few new commands using the CUI. Substitute A-Anno-Dim for PS-DIM.

dimcontinue (need to enter twice to end command or it will leave you on PS-DIM layer):

^C^C(setq CL (getvar "clayer"));(setvar "clayer" "PS-DIM");_dimcontinue;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;(setvar "clayer" CL);

dimlinear:

^C^C(setq CL (getvar "clayer"));(setvar "clayer" "PS-DIM");_dimlinear;\\\(setvar "clayer"
    CL);

I imagine you'll get the gist. Backslashes are user input. Dimcontinue will revert to current layer after 20 clicks (add backslashes for more if necessary). I then used keyboard shortcut keys to activate the commands.

Andrew

Login to Give a bone

Which command are you triggering?

Andrew
    Well, I've only checked it with dimlinear. And when I said I triggered it off the toolbar, I misspoke (mis wrote?), It was off of the tool pallete. I did notice that the dim linear on the tool pallete (and all the other dim controls) do say (with layer keying) after them. So how do I get my keyboard shortcut to recognize layer keying? Other than using the snipets you suggested, that is.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Well, I've only checked it with dimlinear. And when I said I triggered it off the toolbar, I misspoke (mis wrote?), It was off of the tool pallete. I did notice that the dim linear on the tool pallete (and all the other dim controls) do say (with layer keying) after them. So how do I get my keyboard shortcut to recognize layer keying? Other than using the snipets you suggested, that is.
    The "with layer keying" Tool palette dimension tools do not simply run the DIMLINEAR and other dimension commands, but instead each calls a custom command type AEC Content file that runs the desired dimension command and which, like all AEC Content, can have a Layer Key assigned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast