Thread: RD 2008 Aerial Image Anomalies

Login to Give a bone

Default RD 2008 Aerial Image Anomalies

The following are two of the anomalies that we have been having using Raster Design 2008 with aerial image files. After inserting high-resolution TIF aerial photos with a world file, we save the file to be used as a reference file. While in our Civil 3D base survey and design file, the aerial is attached, moved, and rotated into position. The datum for the C3D file and the aerial file are not identical. Initially the image appears correctly, but after saving, exiting, and then opening the file again, the image is broken up. There may be a section missing, duplicate copies of an area repeated, or simply a black bar running through the image. These types of problems also result when inserting an aerial TIF file using the world file and transforming from one datum to another. The image is inserted into the file and eventually distorts as outlined above. This did not occur using Raster Design 2007, and I suspect it is a bug in the software.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: RD 2008 Aerial Image Anomalies

I ran into this same problem when trying to drape an image of a large tif onto an existing surface. After unsuccessfully draping the image and recovering the drawing image was tiled (or copied) about onto itself. I had to re-import the aerial image again, but was unsuccessful getting it to drape my surface.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: RD 2008 Aerial Image Anomalies

My understanding is that this can be affected/improved by changing the compression method used for the aerial. Try exporting to TIF and using LZW compression, or export to PNG for a smaller size.