See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2010 Recreate local file

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2010 Recreate local file

Is there a way to shut of the automatic check box that creates local files everytime I open the central file?

I keep forgetting that the box is checked and I open the central file to create a new local file for a new user and I keep creating a local file for the last user. It is annoying, I doubling my work and having to clean up my own mess.

Thanks

And one more question now I am thinking of it. Is there away to turn off those huge a$$ picture that keep popping up when I huver over a icon for too long. The built in help menu thing. I hate those things.

Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to bbeck's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2010 Recreate local file

To turn off the icon tool tips, File > Options >Tooltip assistance > minimal or none

Login to Give a bone

Personally, I would highly recommend never opening the Central model to create your locals. It can be a recipe for disaster.

See the following threads for alternate methods:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=65897

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=951970

Login to Give a bone

guys thanks for the reply.

Beck my images are now gone... super happy

gatti, thanks for the advise but I don't feel comfortable loading someone elses macro into my machine.

As far as I know, the way I create the local file for my users is the correct way or the help menu and the books I have would have suggested different. (by no means am I being a smart a** here even though by reading it sounds like it) If the disaster happens, this is why we have back up tapes. If something happened because I installed a macro from someone else then this = my job.

If there truely is a different way that AutoDesk recommends then please let me know.

Again thank you both for your replies and suggestions.

Login to Give a bone

If you don't want to try to use either of the programs that I pointed to then I would recommend manually copying the Central file to the user's computer and renaming it there. Having all of your users opening the Central Model just to create their locals is just not worth the risk.

In my opinion, AutoDesk does not fully understand the "best practices" that most of their Revit users have developed. To me, the Create New Local option in 2010 is an example of them not quite understanding what the end users were asking for - they tried but they missed the target.

Brett

Login to Give a bone

hmmm.

I am not sure how you organize your central and local files but how does copying the central file and renaming it work effectively? The central files are hard coded and moving them will lose your workshare, you will have to remap the path to the central file.

And my users don't ever open the central file for any reason. Only one person can access the central file and make local files and that is me. I only ever open the central file to create a new local file for new user coming onto the project. And the odd roll back back-up

This is our set up.

On our server we have two folders:
    Central Folder and Local Folder.

The Central file is located (well) in the central folder. Once my workshare is set up and saved, I then change the user name to the person that will be working on the project and create him/her a local file under the Local Folder with that person user name in the name of the file.

This way no "user" should ever access the central file for any reason. If their local file becomes corrupt then they contact me and I will create them a new local file. This ensures no one ever works in the central file by accident.

The only time we save a "local file" to a user's computer is when they need to work off site. Having a local file on the user computer acts the same as if it was on the network, only difference is before the user leaves they have to check out worksets. And the software complains that it can't find the central file but when you save localy the next time you connect back to the server and save to central all you changes will be added to the central file.

I think Autodesk has it working quite well. They missed the boat on printing to file because we have to rename all of our print files. And not being able to rotate detail fill patterns. Some of the basics of drafting. But the central and local file thing works great.

If you copy a central file to a user’s computer then you lose the workshare ability.

But then again I may be way off point in what you are telling me.

Alan

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Your understanding of worksets, central and local files is off a bit.

A copy of a central file is regarded by Revit as a local file by default. When a user opens a file that is a copy of the central file, copied from the server to their own pc, Revit will generate an error message that says in effect, "hey you moved me...unless you tell me to be a Central file again I'm going to be a Local file...that belongs to so and so". Worksharing is not harmed the local file continues to function and look for the original location of the central file. The only trouble that can pop up is if the central file itself is moved not copied because it is no longer there for the "new" local file to find.

There really is no need to make local files for users. Let them copy their own...or better yet with 2010 let them browse to te central and don't uncheck the option to make a local file. Just about as simple as it gets. If you want more control then you can automate it with one of the several tools that have been created and shared by other members in the past several years/months.

Oh...if your teams get larger than a few and if they don't all work on their projects consistently every day then they really should be making a new local file each morning. Time worn proven strategy to avoid file and saving problems down the road.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2009-06-03 at 06:44 AM. Reason: fixed some grammar and phrasing

Login to Give a bone

Steve, thanks for the clarification and detail on this.

That being said, I still don't want my Revit users ever browsing to and touching the Central file from within an open session of Revit - regardless of any available check boxes. I've seen too many Central file corruptions (well not truly corruptions but I think you know what I'm talking about) in the past that were caused by users who "thought the knew what they were doing".

Personal preference....

Login to Give a bone

Guys

I understand what you are saying and thank you for helping me understand. Your advice is well appreciated. I fall in to the catagory of "who thought they knew what they were doing"

I have a better understaning now

Thanks again

Login to Give a bone

I think I am also someone "who thought they knew what they were doing" but I was just wondering if the reason you don't want people touching the central is they might stay and work there. I am just a bit confused on that. I know here, each of us will browse to the central and make a local every morning. We haven't had a problem yet and the new check box helps us speed this process up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast