Thread: New Layouts

Login to Give a bone

Question New Layouts

Using AutoCad 2008 LT:
    A very repetitive process for me is making new layouts using the same title block in paper space. I am a detailer at a sheet metal company and we print individual details on 11 x 17" paper to make a "detail manual." For the project I am currently on I have 172 details so this is time consuming.
    My current process is to right click on a layout tab, select move or copy, scroll down and select move to end, check the box create a copy, and select ok. I then double click on the new tab and rename it sequentially.
    Is there a quicker way to do this, some button I dont know about or key strokes I can do? Thanks for any input.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New Layouts

Do you have the option to add a new layout from a template? After a right click on the layout tab, an option "From template..." is displayed in vanilla AutoCAD. This will import a layout from a template drawing.

In the future, you might try the AutoCAD LT - General forum for LT specific questions.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Thanks but that option has the same amount of steps. An example of what I'm looking for is if you right click on a layout tab there is an option for new layout. You click that and imidiately there is a new layout tab with a viewport in it. I want to click "new layout" and have it come up imidiately with the title block I am using with a viewport instead of going through the selection process of "from template" or "move or copy." Is there a way to change the defalt "new layout" option to do this?

Login to Give a bone

I just tried the "layout" command on the command line. If that command is available to you in the LT version it would be easier than what you are currently doing. If you wrote a macro then you would only have to initiate the macro and type in the new name. If you are comfortable with a bit of lisp programming and if you know how many layouts you are likely to need, you may be able to create all of those layouts at once with just a few keystrokes.

Login to Give a bone

I am not familiar with AutoCAD LT. The following may not apply to your situation at all.

Here is some macro code that you can attach to a toolbar button. It will rename "Layout 1" and create two more layouts. It's very simple but it gives some idea of what is possible. I'm no programming geek (wish I were) but I know that with the proper use of variables and conditional statements this code could be designed to create all of the layouts you need at the click of a button and a few keystrokes.

^C^CLAYOUT;R;;"TRIAL 1";;C;;"TRIAL 2";;C;"TRIAL 2";"TRIAL 3";

All AUGI, all the time SRBalliet's Avatar
    Near Christiansburg, VA Looking for a closer job!
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by york View Post
    Using AutoCad 2008 LT:
    A very repetitive process for me is making new layouts using the same title block in paper space. I am a detailer at a sheet metal company and we print individual details on 11 x 17" paper to make a "detail manual." For the project I am currently on I have 172 details so this is time consuming.
    My current process is to right click on a layout tab, select move or copy, scroll down and select move to end, check the box create a copy, and select ok. I then double click on the new tab and rename it sequentially.
    Is there a quicker way to do this, some button I dont know about or key strokes I can do? Thanks for any input.
    Does LT have Design Center? I have a drawing that has almost all I would ever need called CADMart. I have Design Center direct that drawing has my "home". In my CADMart.dwg I have layouts with differnet size title blocks already created with the page setups done. All I have to do is drag and drop the layout into my drawing and rename.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for all of the tips. I like the layout in the command line option. I hope to figure out how to write macros soon and that sounds even better.

Now my process is:

LO (shortcut keys for layout), C to copy, Enter if the sheet # is the one I want to copy or type in the sheet I want, Rename the new sheet.

Way faster than all of the button clicking.
    Last edited by york; 2008-01-04 at 08:11 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Found a new and easier way thanks to Lynn Allen's Tips and Tricks for Using AutoCAD 2008. Just hold Ctrl while dragging the layout tab to create a copy. This tip has just saved me so much time.