Thread: Wish for Expansion of Browser Support [FMDesktop]

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Wish for Expansion of Browser Support [FMDesktop]

Product Component: Facility Web

Description:
    I'd like Facility Web to work with more browsers.

How Used: Currently Facility Web is only supported on MS Internet Explorer. My main browser, both at work and at home, is Firefox. I also use FireFox portable (among other portable apps) when I troubleshoot the computers of other users, so that I always have access to my bookmarks and favorite resource sites.

Looking at the feedburner site stats for my FM-geared weblog, I see that less than 60% of my readers are using IE 6 or 7 to access my site.

Feature Affinity: Usability

Additional Comments:
    Utilizing IE6, I cannot open my Facility Link site from my file server from a bookmark.
    Utilizing IE7, I cannot open my Facility Web site from my file server from a hometab or bookmark.
    I can open them using a File > Open > Browse with no problem.
    This is okay for me, but, I do worry that it would be a problem for some users once we do a wider roll-out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wish for Expansion of Browser Support [FMDesktop]

Melanie,

I don't understand what you mean when you say you can't open your Facility Link site from IE6 with a bookmark. Can I assume you meant to say Facility Web?

Further, I don't understand why they wouldn't open from a bookmark or hometab since it's a straightforward link to an index.htm file. I'll look into this and contact you.

Mark Evans
    Autodesk

Login to Give a bone

FMDesktop's dependency on IE is due to use of Autodesk Design Review as the viewer for floor plans and other drawings. Now that Project Freewheel is live, we have technology to eliminate this dependency (as long as you don't want to print to scale) and future development of FMDesktop is working on browser independence.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mark.evans View Post
    Melanie,

I don't understand what you mean when you say you can't open your Facility Link site from IE6 with a bookmark. Can I assume you meant to say Facility Web?

Further, I don't understand why they wouldn't open from a bookmark or hometab since it's a straightforward link to an index.htm file. I'll look into this and contact you.

Mark Evans
    Autodesk
    Yes, of course, sorry, I meant Web.
    I don't understand it either, I've never experienced anything like that before.

Thanks for your comments.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Wish for Expansion of Browser Support [FMDesktop]

Quote Originally Posted by mark.evans View Post
    FMDesktop's dependency on IE is due to use of Autodesk Design Review as the viewer for floor plans and other drawings.

Now that Project Freewheel is live, we have technology to eliminate this dependency (as long as you don't want to print to scale) and future development of FMDesktop is working on browser independence.
    Well, it's great to know that this is on the radar.

I'm not sure how important printing to scale will be with the way we'll be using this.
    ~ponder, ponder~

I might have some additional direction in this soon. I'll be making a presentation to some folks in our hospital and from the health system leadership about the results of my pilot... ~gulp~ and a proposal of how to implement a larger rollout. (The first part will the easy, the remainder is a little tougher. )

Thanks!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

hi
    thanks you for your post, you help is appreciated