Thread: Driver settings nVidia and ATI

Login to Give a bone

Default Driver settings nVidia and ATI

Per Wes's recommendations in an earlier post, I have done some tweaking of ForceWare settings, but I have some questions that hopefully someone has answers to.

nVidia ForceWare 162.65 and cards ranging from Quadro FX 500/600 up to a bunch of FX 3500s
    Anisotropic Filtering: OFF
    Vertical Sync: OFF
    Trilinear Optimization: OFF. Where is this setting in 162.65? I can find it in the help file, but not the actual setting.

Also, anyone played with these settings?
    Enable Overlay Plane: OFF by default. Is this related to Revit's Overlay plane setting? Is OFF a bad thing? Is ON a good thing?
    Multiple-display/Mixed-GPU acceleration: Compatability Performance Mode by default. Anyone played with Single Display Performance Mode for single monitor users?

ATI Cataliyst 8.44 and cards ranging from V3100s up to some V7200s.
    Vertical Refresh: OFF
    Anyone have any solid information that these settings are indeed the same as the nVidia ones? Do you see good results with the same settings in Catalyst?

And on both options, are people using Revit specific settings globally, or setting things up with independent Revit settings? Any arguments one way or the other? Note, I am asking relative to a non 3DS MAX environement. I thing I would want independent settings if I was running both.

Thanks,
    Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Driver settings nVidia and ATI

Quote Originally Posted by gordonp View Post
    Also, anyone played with these settings?
    Enable Overlay Plane: OFF by default. Is this related to Revit's Overlay plane setting? Is OFF a bad thing? Is ON a good thing?
    FWIW I've tried it with OFF and ON and as far as I could tell makes no difference to Revit's Overlay plane settings.

Multiple-display/Mixed-GPU acceleration: Compatability Performance Mode by default. Anyone played with Single Display Performance Mode for single monitor users?
    Yes, I've played with it as I mainly use a single monitor - it did seem to produce some general performance benefits, but not that you would notice with Revit.

ATI Cataliyst 8.44 and cards ranging from V3100s up to some V7200s.
    Vertical Refresh: OFF
    Anyone have any solid information that these settings are indeed the same as the nVidia ones? Do you see good results with the same settings in Catalyst?
    I wouldn't assume Nvidia settings are the same as Ati settings even if the names are similar - although vsync/v refresh are probably very similar and any 'filtering' is usually to do with how bitmaps are displayed. Some applications apparently like to have these settings left as 'application controlled' but Revit seems OK with turning them OFF.

The latest drivers from both Nvidia and Ati seem to minimise the amount of user setup available - but it doesn't seem to hurt - maybe it's a trend towards Vista thing.