Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WYSIWYG DWG export

Login to Give a bone

Default WYSIWYG DWG export

Is there a way to export from Revit to DWG and get an exactly same output (same layers and colurs in particular)?
    I need to export revit sheets to ACAD where my associates will do minor adjustments and print it, and i want drawings to look exactly as they did in Revit?

Also, what's with exported dimensions, when I move them in ACAD font changes?

Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: WYSIWYG DWG export

Revit doesn't use layers. Therefore there is a translation "matrix" that assigns layers to various elements based on what those elements are and how they are displayed. You can edit these in the Import/Export settings.

But I have to ask, why aren't you printing from Revit? That's pretty much as WYSISYG as it can be.

Login to Give a bone

I know Revit doesnt have layers but I would like to be able to automatically translate revit categories (e.g "columns" or "walls") to DWG layers with same name. But thats not that much of an issue, what's really important to me is to export colours accurately. Any way to do this quickly?
    It is realy emabarrasing that Autodesks own apps have worse interoperability than ACAD and ArchiCAD for example, they should be ashame of it.

As I said, I do not print from revit because I forward rough Revit drawings to my associates for finishing touches and printing and they all use AutoCAD.

Login to Give a bone

The colours that revit exports to AutoCAD do not really matter. If you print the file using the line widths that are specified in the layer table, the drawing will look like the Revit drawing.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Revit was never intended to be used as a "better way to make dwg files". It only provides a way to get Revit data into dwg format. It will never generate cad files that are made exactly the way an AutoCAD user might create a file themselves natively. If you follow the advice that Joef and Patricks gave you you'll get as close to what you've described as possible.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Joef View Post
    The colours that revit exports to AutoCAD do not really matter. If you print the file using the line widths that are specified in the layer table, the drawing will look like the Revit drawing.
    Oh, but they do! We are not printing black &white drawings, we have a lot of coloured elements and I want them printed as such (trust me, we have a very good reason for this).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Revit was never intended to be used as a "better way to make dwg files". It only provides a way to get Revit data into dwg format. It will never generate cad files that are made exactly the way an AutoCAD user might create a file themselves natively.
    In other words, it can not be done? BTW imagine this conversation:

-Why does Corel do a better job than Adobe Photoshop at exporting PDF files to Adobe Acrobat?
    -Well, you see, Photoshop was never intended to be used as a "better way to make PDF files". It only provides a way to get Photoshop data into PDF format. It will never generate PDF files that are made exactly the way an Acrobat user might create a file themselves natively................

Can't imagine? Thats because Photoshop DOES perform perfectly when exporting to PDF and it pretty much goes for any given aplications developed under the same roof.

Personaly I think that interoperability between Revit and ACAD is of utmost importance. Having said that let me reiterate: it is OUTRAGEOUS that 3rd party apps do a better job in this regard than Revit, Autodesks own.

Cheers,

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzevad View Post
    Having said that let me reiterate: it is OUTRAGEOUS that 3rd party apps do a better job in this regard than Revit, Autodesks own.

Cheers,
    Revit was not created by Autodesk. I think it would be very naive of us to underestimate the difficulties invovled in meshing the two programs completely.

Give it some time...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzevad View Post

-Why does Corel do a better job than Adobe Photoshop at exporting PDF files to Adobe Acrobat?
    -Well, you see, Photoshop was never intended to be used as a "better way to make PDF files".

Can't imagine? Thats because Photoshop DOES perform perfectly when exporting to PDF and it pretty much goes for any given aplications developed under the same roof.

Cheers,
    Actually I've found Corel does a much better and faster job of making PDF's than Photoshop.... but that's another story.

For your color export. Revit exports to pen numbers 1-256. If you need specific RGB colors in AutoCAD, you can always run AutoCAD's standards checker to convert the layers to whatever color you want.

Is this for some DTP function that you need colors always the same? If that's the case a PDF from Revit to Corel might be better...

Login to Give a bone

For reference, Revit started out as its own company, with its own software development team. At some point a few years ago Revit was acquired by Autodesk. So just because they are sold by the same company doesn't mean they originated from the same company.

Login to Give a bone

If you set up your export file and then upon export set the layer option to the third choice which creates a layer for each overide, then you should be able to set up a plot config in acad and print close. Again, I agree completely with the idea that Revit should not be required to produce printable autocad drawings. It should be able to share data in that format since its a common format. But If a job is required to be delievered in autocad then it should be done in that software. If revit is your tool of choice, tell your clients, and start encouraging them to switch. The industry is changing wether we like it our not and we must take time to educate our clients and consultants on why.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast