Thread: Creating a door/window assembly

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating a door/window assembly

I need to create a door window assembly that will span across two walls in plan. One wall is curved and merges w/ a straight wall at a point but the assembly is located in both walls. How do you get this to work?

I'm attaching a drawing containing the walls. What is shown right now are individual windows and a seperate door because we are just beginning to use door/window assemblies (thanks to AU 2007!) You can see that a bit of wall shows between the door and windows because that is right where the two walls merge.

How do I get this to work correctly w/ an assembly? Am I drawing my walls incorrectly for this type of condition?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating a door/window assembly

Quote Originally Posted by sharla View Post
    I need to create a door window assembly that will span across two walls in plan. One wall is curved and merges w/ a straight wall at a point but the assembly is located in both walls. How do you get this to work?

I'm attaching a drawing containing the walls. What is shown right now are individual windows and a seperate door because we are just beginning to use door/window assemblies (thanks to AU 2007!) You can see that a bit of wall shows between the door and windows because that is right where the two walls merge.

How do I get this to work correctly w/ an assembly? Am I drawing my walls incorrectly for this type of condition?
    If you try to create a single Door/Window Assembly for the Door and what are currently represented by Windows, you will have a problem, as Door/Window Assemblies are "straight"; they can not follow a curve. If you need to have a curve, you would need to use a Curtain Wall object, which will not automatically anchor to/cut into a Wall.

In the attached file, I copied two of your walls - the straight wall with the Single door and the curved wall with the Windows. I drew a polyline at the centerline of these two walls, starting and stopping where the outer frame of your Door and Window started and stopped. This served as the "reference curve" for the Curtain Wall, and was put on the G-Anno-Nplt layer.

I offset the polyline 6" to either side, then pedited the offset polylines into a closed polyline and converted it into a Mass Element, with a 7'-2" high extrusion height. This is on the A-Area-Mass-Nplt layer, which should normally be frozen so that the Mass Element is not visible. Prior to freezing the layer, I added this Mass Element as an interference condition to both Walls, to create the opening for the Curtain Wall.

I created a Curtain Wall Style that has a fixed cell at the start for the door, with a nested grid in the other cell that divides into five equal spaces. A free-standing instance of this is at the "top" of the drawing. I made a tool for this style, right-clicked on the tool, chose the Apply Tool Properties to > Referenced Base Curve option and selected the polyline.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating a door/window assembly

Thank you so much! I would never have thought to do the mass element first! That is a step that will be helpful in other circumstances as well.