Thread: AUTOCAD MEP 2008: Exporting 3D Dwg to *.SAT format

Login to Give a bone

Talking AUTOCAD MEP 2008: Exporting 3D Dwg to *.SAT format

I am using MEP 2008. I have a couple of clients that are using Keycreator and Solidworks. They are telling me that everytime they import my file, the piping is missing. Has expenience this problem. If so, did you figure the problem?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AUTOCAD MEP 2008: Exporting 3D Dwg to *.SAT format

Please note I have moved this from the watering hole forum to AMEP 2008 general forum.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

rmorrison,

You might try exporting as IFC files, though I am not sure if those programs can import IFC (you will have to check).

-Buzz

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rmorrison View Post
    I am using MEP 2008. I have a couple of clients that are using Keycreator and Solidworks. They are telling me that everytime they import my file, the piping is missing. Has expenience this problem. If so, did you figure the problem?
    The easiest way I have found to work AMEP information into other software is to use the Export to AutoCAD command. This should convert all of the pipe, fittings, and various equipment in the drawing to either AutoCAD solids or blocks (there is a reg hack that will allow you to change this process so that the AMEP model is not used). The one tricky part of this is with the equipment and fittings. You will need to experiment with Solidworks and Keycreator as to how they treat the AutoCAD blocks. I have in some cases needed to convert the MvParts and fittings into AMEP mass objects before running the export to AutoCAD. I have had ABS content inside of Solidworks but it has been some time since I performed that task. Keycreator was still called CadKey the last time I used it and it always had issues with AutoCAD solids. I hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

thanks campbell.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by campbell.58097 View Post
    The easiest way I have found to work AMEP information into other software is to use the Export to AutoCAD command. This should convert all of the pipe, fittings, and various equipment in the drawing to either AutoCAD solids or blocks (there is a reg hack that will allow you to change this process so that the AMEP model is not used). The one tricky part of this is with the equipment and fittings. You will need to experiment with Solidworks and Keycreator as to how they treat the AutoCAD blocks. I have in some cases needed to convert the MvParts and fittings into AMEP mass objects before running the export to AutoCAD. I have had ABS content inside of Solidworks but it has been some time since I performed that task. Keycreator was still called CadKey the last time I used it and it always had issues with AutoCAD solids. I hope this helps.
    Why bother with that.
    You can (I think, at least you can with ACA objects, never tried with pipes) use the "covert objects to solids tool. This should give you the desired results assuming solids work for them. Just a thought.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Why bother with that.
    You can (I think, at least you can with ACA objects, never tried with pipes) use the "covert objects to solids tool. This should give you the desired results assuming solids work for them. Just a thought.

This works but when I have made conversions for use inside of the SmartPlant product line and Pro E I have had issues with fittings and MvParts so that is why I tend to go to mass objects and then to solids.