Thread: Type Mark parameter of nested families

Login to Give a bone

Default Type Mark parameter of nested families

I've been trying to come up with some way to deal with all of the combinations of doors and frames in a complex project.

I don't want to have a new door family every time I need a new frame - it's the same door. So, instead, I have my basic door families, and nest in the frame types as an instance parameter. I can apply any frame type I want to any door with the click of a button - it automatically sizes the frame to the door and works great.

Here is where I'm running into a minor annoyance:
    I obviously want the frame type to show up on the door schedule. So, right now it shows up as [family name] : [family type], like "Frame A: A", or something like that. I'd rather have the type mark for that frame family show up in the schedule... but I can't figure out how to "get at" that information. In order to "tie" a parameter in my nested frame to a parameter in the door - it has to be an instance parameter. Is there any clever way around this? Any way to "read" the type mark of the nested frame from within the door family?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Type Mark parameter of nested families

You should be able to achieve this by checking Shared option under Tools/Family Categories and Parameters in the frame family. This allows nested family parameters to be scheduled in the project. You won't even need to associate a door family parameter to a nested parameter since you'll be able to access the nested parameter directly when scheduling. This would mean that you would place your frame mark in the nested frame family.

Are we on the same page?

Login to Give a bone

What you say makes perfect sense to me... I can create a multi-category schedule that shows my frames and their shared parameters.

What I can't figure out is... how do I get this on the Door Schedule. The parameters of the nested frame family are not available to me in a Door Schedule.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Set the door frame family to the door category. Create a shared parameter for the frame mark and add it to the frame family. Make sure this family is shared. Nest this family in your door family. Load the door family into your project. Create a door schedule. The frame mark parameter should be available to incorporate into a door schedule.

I'm running this from memory and haven't investigated connecting it to your process of selecting the frame per door instance. It depends on the structure of your nested frame family.

Login to Give a bone

that works as well. but, on the door schedule, you now have an instance for each frame and door, seperate. it doesn't treat the nested frame as "part" of a door family... it treats it as another door in your project, for scheduling purposes.

i want to roll that frame information into the same row in my schedule as the door it is associated with. i wonder if i can achieve this through some sort of grouping in the schedule...

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Maybe I missed a step somewhere. I just tested this and it's working. Oh, it looks like I left out that you'll need to add the share parameter to the project parameters and associate it to the door category.

Login to Give a bone

Hmmm...

I must definitely be missing something if it is working for you.

I created a Frame family, call it "Frame A". I set the category to be door and the family is shared. I created a shared parameter called "Frame Type Mark". I then nest this family into one of my typical door families, call it "F". Then I load that family into my project. I have added the shared parameter "Frame Type Mark" to the project and associated it with the Door category.

Now, my project has one instance of door family "F" in it. I create a schedule and this is the result:

Two rows. One row is for the instance of door family "F". One row is the instance of the shared, nested family, "Frame A". I can add the "Frame Type Mark" field to my schedule, but, it only fills itself in for the "Frame A" family. It is still blank for the door family "F" row. It is not reading that field from the frame family nested into it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by c-hawk View Post
    Set the door frame family to the door category. Create a shared parameter for the frame mark and add it to the frame family. Make sure this family is shared. Nest this family in your door family. Load the door family into your project. Create a door schedule. The frame mark parameter should be available to incorporate into a door schedule.

I'm running this from memory and haven't investigated connecting it to your process of selecting the frame per door instance. It depends on the structure of your nested frame family.

I'm trying to achieve about the same thing.
    I'd like to propagate the type mark to a field in the nested family

I have a door frame family and a panel family
    the panel family is shared. This family is nested and labeled in the frame family.
    the panel family has an instance parameter called nested_in_type
    Selecting this family in the panel family I can push parameters to the nested family (as expected)
    But, how to propagate the type mark to this field?

Mark and type mark are not available in the edit family environment.
    I tried to ad type mark as a shared parameter, but then I end up with two type mark fields in the project environment.

The real question here is I suppose;
    Is it possible to show the type mark parameter in the family edit environment.

ps.
    I could run this trough dynamo, but the downside is that this solution not instant, and therefore it is easy to end up with old or obsolete data.

Greatings
    Johan
    Last edited by j.pijl700195; 2017-04-07 at 12:29 PM.