See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Annotation Visibility in Paper Space

Login to Give a bone

Default Annotation Visibility in Paper Space

I have set up our templates to use annotative text. Our drawings are set-up as follows:

- Baseplans, sections, etc. are referenced into model space and are noted with annotative text and dimensions at the appropriate scale.

- Paper space contains the referenced title block, viewports, title tags, general notes and work description notes.

All of the text and tags are annotative.

The problem I am having is that when multiple scales are used in model space, I turn the annotation visibility to <0> so that only the text and dimensions that are scaled to match the viewport will show in each. Doing this causes the mtext and tags that are annotative in paper space to disappear. If I turn the annotation visibilty back to <1> everything shows up in paper space, but I also have all scales showing up in the viewports.

Any ideas on what I have set-up wrong??

Please let me know if there is something that I didn't explain very well.

Thanks,

Tony

All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Annotation Visibility in Paper Space

Using Annotative Objects in Paperspace is where the hold-up is. Annotative Scale was designed explicitly for Model Space use. You can make new styles which are not Annotative for use in Paperspace or you can manually strip the "Annotativeness" from the objects through the DDCHPROP panel.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CADDmanVA View Post
    Using Annotative Objects in Paperspace is where the hold-up is. Annotative Scale was designed explicitly for Model Space use. You can make new styles which are not Annotative for use in Paperspace or you can manually strip the "Annotativeness" from the objects through the DDCHPROP panel.
    Hi,

I'm having a similar problem, although all my annotative annotations are on Model space... I use LT 2011, and we make use of lots of X-refs, since we are working with many different architectural firms on the same project. I "X-refed" the base plan in my model space, and i made annotations both in scale 1:50 and 1:100, thinking they would show up in the appropriate viewports on the dwg sheet... It used to work with autoCAD LT 2010, so i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong now...

Please help! Thanks!
    Fany

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Welcome to AUGI.

How were the VP's set up? Did you use the Zoom 1/50xp method, or did you simply choose the scale in the status bar? If the former, the VP's Anno Scale doesn't update accordingly.

You mention having several XRefs, are all the scales duplicated between the layout & base drawings? Usually an xref's scale is imported into the layout (if it doesn't already exist), but then the imported scale gets a _XREF suffix. So even if you then later add say the 1:50 scale to the viewport - it's not the scale the original object is applied to (even though the factor is the same), because the scales' names differ. It's stupid I know, but that's what you can expect when programmers never use their own product.

So try to remove the XRef scales from your layout and then copy-n-paste anything (say a line) from the base files into it - that should duplicate the scale names correctly. Set the VP to the correct scale. After which reload the xref and see if it now works.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Welcome to AUGI.

How were the VP's set up? Did you use the Zoom 1/50xp method, or did you simply choose the scale in the status bar? If the former, the VP's Anno Scale doesn't update accordingly.

You mention having several XRefs, are all the scales duplicated between the layout & base drawings? Usually an xref's scale is imported into the layout (if it doesn't already exist), but then the imported scale gets a _XREF suffix. So even if you then later add say the 1:50 scale to the viewport - it's not the scale the original object is applied to (even though the factor is the same), because the scales' names differ. It's stupid I know, but that's what you can expect when programmers never use their own product.

So try to remove the XRef scales from your layout and then copy-n-paste anything (say a line) from the base files into it - that should duplicate the scale names correctly. Set the VP to the correct scale. After which reload the xref and see if it now works.
    Thanks you very much for the quick answer!

In the end, after trying many different things, my problem was that the setting of the of the annotation scale of all the viewports (when standard scale was set to 1:50 or 1:100, selected from the status bar) was set to 1:100 and therefore didn't show my annotations at 1:50.

I switched from LT 2010 to LT 2011 last week, so it might have been default setting or something i didn't set right, since I didn't even had the slightest idea such a possibility (annotation scale differing from standard scale) was even possible... :blush:

Thanks again,
    Fany

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Usually (and this setting is saved inside a DWG, per tab) your Model space tab has the AnnoAllVisible=1, while all the PS tabs have it set to 0. It's the button just to the right of the AnnoList in the status bar - the one with the Annotation Triangle and the Light-bulb.

Now the reason for this setting is so you can see objects which are set to a different scale from the current. I.e. in model space if your CAnnoScale="1:100" then you still see the objects which have only 1:50 applied to them. But in paper space the 1:50 objects should not appear inside the VP's set at 1:100.

The AnnoAllVisible has no effect on objects with the CAnnoScale applied to them. So if the object has both 1:50 and 1:100 applied to it and CAnnoScale=1:100, it will show up the 1:100 version of itself irrespective of what the AnnoAllVisible is set to.

About the VP's view-scale differing from its CAnnoScale, it's "hard" to do ... and in nearly 99% of the cases I'd even say it MUST NOT BE DONE ... but there are 2 ways (I know off) in which you can force it:
    1. Use the Zoom<space>1/###XP<space> method to change the zoom factor inside the VP without changing the CAnnoScale.
    2. Select the VP in Paper Space. Open the properties palette (Ctrl+1) and change its Standard Scale / Custom Scale. If you change its Annotation Scale, its Standard Scale is also updated, but not visa-versa.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Welcome to AUGI.

Have you any suggestion for multiple xrefs with various annotative scale names in the same paperspace layout\viewport? I have perhaps 15 xrefs in my model. I have my viewport set up for 1"=40' in paperspace. (Civil project). How do I deal with xrefs that have an anno scale of 1:40, while another xref may be 1"=40' or 1=40, or some folks use 1" = 40'-0". Scale names differ. The references ultimately are set up for a 40 scale annotation, but multiple different annotation scale names. The math is the same but the names are not the same. How can I overcome this?