Thread: Mr SID Image attachement Creates Huge Delays

Login to Give a bone

Default Mr SID Image attachement Creates Huge Delays

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting a question, typically I can find a simallar problem to my own but not in this particullar case. Currently my self as well as others in my office are experencing 30-50min waits for Mr SID image insertions into Autocad Civil 3D 2008. These Mr SID aerials are of our entire county and as large as 2 GB. The proceedure we use to attach is through Map/Image Insert/ which after selecting the image should bring up the Image Correlation Window, but in my case it take about 30min at best for that window to come up. Detaching the image takes up to 30min as well. Keep in mind these are blank clean drawings that I am trying to insert into. Part of the need for these aerials is the coordinate system that comes along with the Mr SID aerials, which is needed to query in GIS contours. That is why we use Map/Insert Image/.

So this brings me to my question, is there an optimal system hardware setup or Autocad Civil 3D 2008 setting to improve the performance. We are currently using computers with the spec's listed below as computer 1.

Computer 1 (the slow one)
    Intel Pentium IV 2.80 GHz
    ATI FireGL 3100 Graphics Card
    2.0 GB RAM
    80 GB Hard drive

To through a wrench in the mix one guy here at my office has the black sheep of computers which is completely different than everyone else and experiences no delay what so ever. It literally takes him seconds to perform the same insertion. The spec's of his computer are listed below as computer 2.

Computer 2
    Intel Pentium IV 3.00 GHz
    Intel R 82915G/GB/910GL Express Graphics Card
    1.0 GB RAM
    80 GB Hard drive

This just doent make any sense, someone please help!!

Thanks,

Derek

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Mr SID Image attachement Creates Huge Delays

Check to make sure your virus checking software is not scanning these files. We had a similar problem, and this was the cause.

We went from it taking 20+ minutes to open a drawing down to a few seconds.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the advice, I believe I have seen that comment before but didnt think it really had that big of an effect. I will just kill my anti-virus software for the time being and give it a try then. Hopefully this does the trick, I'm not sure what else to do.

Login to Give a bone

No luck with the anti-virus approach. I made sure that all anti-virus software was turned off and tried inserting the mr sid file again and still had a 20 min wait. We then tried coping a 1 GB mr sid aerial to my local hard drive and inserted the file to autocad from there with a much faster result approx 1min. any ideas?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

What speed is your network?
    If it's gigabit, is your NIC gigabit capable?
    IOW - check to make sure this isn't a network problem.

What happens on computer 1 and computer 2 if you simply copy a few of these files to the local hard drive - any difference in time?

Login to Give a bone

I will check on the network stuff with our IT guy. To answer your other question. When I copy one of the SID's to my hard drive insertion time is greatly decreased to under a minute for computer 1. As for computer 2 it makes no difference it still loads the image in only a few seconds.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dwgoff View Post
    When I copy one of the SID's to my hard drive insertion time is greatly decreased to under a minute for computer 1. As for computer 2 it makes no difference it still loads the image in only a few seconds.
    What I meant was to check the time it takes to copy the SID files from the network share to the local drive. Nothing to do with ACAD, just the data transfer time.

Login to Give a bone

I understand this is something myself and the IT guy noted. The transfer rate from the network to my hard drive as well as the other computer was the same and took approx. 2.5min to transfer 1.0GB

Thanks