Thread: Global resets to "architectural" type on dwg import

Login to Give a bone

Default Global resets to "architectural" type on dwg import

How do I prevent Viz from reverting the scene material "Global" to an architectural type material when I import a dwg? I use vray as my shader, and typically setup "Global" to be the most widely used material in the scene which is usually a concrete type material. When I import a new dwg, however, global gets overwritten by a default architectural type global without warning and without asking.

Architectural type materials are not compatible with vray and so I have to constantly re-import my saved Global mat to overwrite the one that viz automatically creates for me every time I bring in new geometry. Vray compatibility aside, this is an annoying bug that seems to have no purpose and no clear way to disable. It's not an option in the dwg import dialog.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Global resets to "architectural" type on dwg import

It could have to do with a number of things. For one, what platform is the dwg file coming from - Revit or AutoCAD? It might be the material assigned to the objects in the dwg file is overwriting what you've setup. Secondly, I know that if you wanted to run with all mental ray settings in VIZ, there is a custom UI that can be set to run. There might be a similar setting with vray, although I don't have it on my system to check. Look under the Preferences pull down-> Custom UI & default Switcher as that is where a vray UI theme would reside. Also, in the import/link options advanced settings be sure to check the 2 boxes: "Use Scene Material Definitions" and "Use Scene Material Assignments on Reload" to avoid having materials you've assigned to objects from being lost.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Try the vray scene converter....it will change all materials to vray materials...including architectural. It should be in your right click menu...if not you may have to make a button for it.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Global resets to "architectural" type on dwg import

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett View Post
    It could have to do with a number of things. For one, what platform is the dwg file coming from - Revit or AutoCAD? It might be the material assigned to the objects in the dwg file is overwriting what you've setup. Secondly, I know that if you wanted to run with all mental ray settings in VIZ, there is a custom UI that can be set to run. There might be a similar setting with vray, although I don't have it on my system to check. Look under the Preferences pull down-> Custom UI & default Switcher as that is where a vray UI theme would reside. Also, in the import/link options advanced settings be sure to check the 2 boxes: "Use Scene Material Definitions" and "Use Scene Material Assignments on Reload" to avoid having materials you've assigned to objects from being lost.
    Thanks! Apparently the "Use Scene Material Definitions" is the key. There is a vray UI, which I am using. When I launch viz I start with all vray mats. I have everything customized for my workflow, which is why I was annoyed by the "global>archtype" mess. I don't know why I didn't try that box thanks again.

Login to Give a bone

glad that helped!
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM