See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Scale List Nightmares!!

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Scale List Nightmares!!

Basically, the scales were something that came from an earlier AC version (not sure exactly when), this was so you could just select the scale in the plot dialog instead of typing the drawing units = paper units as per custom scales. Now in 2008 it uses those scales for the Annotative feature as well. Because of this it "displays" all the saved scales in the status bar's annotation scale pop-up. So every time you open a drawing, it reads all the saved scales to that pop-up.

Then, whenever you copy-n-paste something from another drawing, or insert a block from a file, or if you xref a drawing into the current, the scales from that drawing is imported into the current as well. Now before SP1 it used to do this every time you open the drawing - i.e. it made a copy of all the scales & added to the current, then when you opened it again, it did the same thing.

What you ended up with is a list of scales (usually with a XREF prefix, or several XREF prefixes) of a few thousand scales. Then when 2008 tries to display them in that Annotation Scale pop-up it takes a hell of a long time, and could cause a crash since it's using up RAM and CPU power. After installing SP1 this "doesn't happen" ... sort of ... it still imports those scales, but only does it once (i.e. it checks if the scale already exists instead of just making a copy without checking). It checks only the scale's name, so if you've got 2 scales with the same values for drawing / paper units but different names it will see them as 2 different scales so import even though a similar scale is already there.

So SP1 solves the problem for any new drawings, i.e. it doesn't increase the scale list with those XREF prefixed scales anymore. Unfortunately, it also doesn't delete these XREF prefixed scales - this you have to do manually or have some type of script / lisp to remove them. Also you need to remove these from any xrefs attached / overlaid into the current drawing, otherwise those XREF prefixed scales are still imported as they're seen as "new" scales with a differing name.

The normal way to do this would be to use SCALELISTEDIT, but unfortunately if you've got thousands of scales you'll get some sort of memory error since it's trying to display them all in a dialog. Then you could use the commandline version of SCALELISTEDIT by prefixing the command with a minus sign - thus it doesn't load all the scales into a dialog, so you won't get that RAM error.

Now the "simplest" solution would be to use the Reset option of -SCALELISTEDIT. But unfortunately it uses only the ACAD default scales. So if you've got some custom scales you've setup yourself (this happens nearly always if you're using metric) these dissapear if not used. Therefore my ScaleListUtils in a previous post.

You need to clean the drawings from the bottom-up, i.e. the most nested xref first. Otherwise you clean the drawing, then when you open it again it still loads the XREF prefixes scales from any xrefs not cleaned yet.

A very nice utility for doing this cleanup in a batch is the CleanupScales (from AutoDesk http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240658). Basically you setup a template (that's a DWT file) with the scales you want. Then run this utility, select which drawings you want to clean, pick the DWT as the template, and set how many differences are allowed from the template before actually cleaning the DWG's.

If you're simply doing some research about this you may also try to search these forums for the scalelist keyword. There's quite a few issues regading this.

I could stop if I wanted to CadDog's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

WOW...

I did notice that...

Lisp I created does create these missing scales but I did see this "_XREF" before.

WOW...

I remember this same problems when AutoCAD began xref'ing method years ago.

When you attach an xref all the layers where all attach and you got ONE BIG Layer List...

I maybe able to clean these file when I create my xref file. Here at this company we still work with Master files and have a lisp which (when the designer wants) creates the xref. Maybe I can add something to clean out this problem.

I would like to thank all here on thread for helping me understand a problem which I didn't know existed.

IRNEB, Thanks very much for layout this problem so simple and clearly. I know you didn't need to do that but I thank you for taking time.

I will go out and I will be back when I find something which help me and may also help you all.

Shame on AutoCAD for not email us and letting us know of this problem and
    giving us some type of fix and/or work around.

Now that I understand and seen what this problem is I'm better informed and better able to try to headoff this problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CadDog View Post
    Now that I understand and seen what this problem is I'm better informed and better able to try to headoff this problem.
    Nice attachment. Check out this one...
    Notice the arrows at top/bottom - indicating even more. Probably 100 pages like this.

R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Got it...!!!

This even messes up this thread...

Can you run your program on this and fix this problem now...

Login to Give a bone

l also found this in AutoCAD 2008 3D...

I wonder if this also added to 3D crashing...

I will add the fix there also...

Thanks again...

Next problem for me is know which service pack to install which fixes these annotation text items... AutoDesk list over 90 service packs for Civil 3D...

???

Does anyone know which one is the one to fix the Annotation Scale stuff...???
    Last edited by CadDog; 2008-07-09 at 05:54 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Is anyone else getting an unhandled exception when trying to use scalelistedit? I get an error message dialog box and the command won't run.
    Using Civil3D 2008 SP2, XP SP2.

Ahh, I just realised that I've installed Civil3D 2009 (but not using it in anger yet) since last time I tried to use scalelistedit. That must be the problem.

ps just realised that the command-line version -scalelistedit still works. All good!

Cheers
    Stephen

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.cowling View Post
    Is anyone else getting an unhandled exception when trying to use scalelistedit?
    Yes, that's "normal" when you've got something like +20k scales in the scale list. AutoCAD's trying to display them all in the scalelistedit dialog ... and running out of RAM. Therefore the commandline version by prefixing a minus sign to the command: -SCALELISTEDIT. This way it's not going to display them all, but still allows you to modify them, albeit using command prompts (of which the Reset is the easiest to use).

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CadDog View Post
    Got it...!!!

This even messes up this thread...

Can you run your program on this and fix this problem now...

Yes thanks rkmcswain, or should that rather be AutoDesk? I've got AUGI set to use the wide format so it uses the entire Firefox screen (instead of just the left half as default). But this is ridiculous - I need to use the bottom scrollbar to get to the Quote button on the right!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Yes thanks rkmcswain, or should that rather be AutoDesk? I've got AUGI set to use the wide format so it uses the entire Firefox screen (instead of just the left half as default). But this is ridiculous - I need to use the bottom scrollbar to get to the Quote button on the right!
    Just trying to make a point. Should I resize the image?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Just trying to make a point. Should I resize the image?
    Noooo ... It's fine ... anyway it's not your fault the image is that large

BTW, what kind of screen res do you have to get that capture so large? Mine's set at 1600x1200 but it only shows half the image width.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast