Thread: Automatically populating attribute's value, depending on its location

Login to Give a bone

Default Automatically populating attribute's value, depending on its location

Hello all,

Could you please help me with the following scenario:

We are trying to see if it is possible (in AutoCAD - 2007 or beyond) to have the attribute values fill-in automatically, depending on where the field is physically located on the model space? Please see the attached image for a representation of what I am trying to say.

I can picture how this could happen by simply using the x,y coordinates. If a given field is located in between such-and-such coordinates, then the field is in location so-and-so. I just don't know how I could implement it in AutoCAD environment.

Please let me know if my question isn't clear enough.

Is there a solution to this? Thanks!!!

Sincerely
    FS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Automatically populating attribute's value, depending on its location

Quote Originally Posted by Fahad.Shuja View Post
    Hello all,

We are trying to see if it is possible (in AutoCAD - 2007 or beyond) to have the attribute values fill-in automatically, depending on where the field is physically located on the model space? Please see the attached image for a representation of what I am trying to say.

I can picture how this could happen by simply using the x,y coordinates. If a given field is located in between such-and-such coordinates, then the field is in location so-and-so. I just don't know how I could implement it in AutoCAD environment.

Sincerely
    FS
    A LISP routine could probably do the trick

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Automatically populating attribute's value, depending on its location

So there is no built-in function in AutoCAD to extract that kind of information..?

Login to Give a bone

Hello all,

Sincerely
    FS
    FIELDS can extract location data into text...
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Can the FIELD be updated automatically, simply by knowing where it is located on the model space?

Login to Give a bone

Can the FIELD be updated automatically, simply by knowing where it is located on the model space?
    yep, it'll always be active. all you'll have to do is REGEN to get it to update.

just make sure you place the FIELD into an ATTRIBUTE instead of any other text object.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

I looked into the options for FIELD, but don't see any place that would allow me to get location information.... Please see the image I attached in the original question, above. Can you guide me through this? Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

have you searched the FIELDS forum?
    S&D DB Sharing Forum