Thread: Create lisp to extract data from excel file

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Create lisp to extract data from excel file

I don't really understand a whole lot about autocad interfacing with excel. I have done a search on excel in the lisp forums and found a few things, but don't understand the code.I have code written for a program that uses a dialogue box. The user will pick or enter the necessary data. I am looking to connect to an excel spreadsheet that has multiple workbooks. Depending on what data that is selected in the dialogue box depicts which worksheet that should be selected and what data should be taken off that work sheet. In the end i will use the data from the excel sheet to draw an object with the dimensional data from the excel worksheet.

I am sure this is possible from some code i have found through my search, but i don't know what commands to use to select the range of data i would like returned, how to open the correct worksheet, and how to do all this behind the scenes either as the user is selecting the necessary input data from the diaogue or after the user has selected ok.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Create lisp to extract data from excel file

I would really, REALLY, recommend using VBA to interact with Excel. Otherwise, prepare for less hair.

Login to Give a bone

The only problem is i don' tknow any VBA. Would always love to learn a new language, but don't have a whole lot of spare time to spend on learning a new language. I also got that feeling from some other posts i ahve read taht VBA is best suited for this interaction.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

You could use something like ADOLISP. It's a free addon to connect to any data source through something like ODBC (Window's Open Data Base Connectivity). I know it works for Excel, CSV, DBase, Access, MySQL, and any other data storage / retrieval program with an ODBC driver. You can find the website here http://acad.fleming-group.com/index.html.

However, it's not going to be as easy as with VBA, dgorsman is right about that.In Excel, you'll have to create ranges for ODBC to work with it as if it's a database with tables. Otherwise, I'd suggest saving your XLS file to a DBase file for each tab, then using the DBase connection - which can be read / write inside AutoCAD / AutoLisp, unlike Excel which can only be read.

Login to Give a bone

yea that seems very difficult to figure out. I guess I will end up learning VBA which in the long run will help me out.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Lions60 View Post
    yea that seems very difficult to figure out. I guess I will end up learning VBA which in the long run will help me out.
    Does this post offer any help?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Thank you that helps a lot.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    Does this post offer any help?
    Shot thanks, this works much easier than fiddling with ODBC!