Thread: Material Surface Pattern/Cut Pattern Accuracy

Login to Give a bone

Default Material Surface Pattern/Cut Pattern Accuracy

I am trying to persuade the architectural firm where I work to change from an old 2D cad program (Microstation 95 w/Project Architect add on) to Revit Architecture. I have been using Revit since R2 and started hand drafting in 1975. I have never seen any CD's as accurate as this firm produces. They detail in great depth and I know that this fact causes them a lot less problems, while they are responsible for not just the drawings but until the building is completely finished as most firms do.

Now to the question, I don't think this is possible in Revit yet, but thought it might be a wish list item. I need to be able to show different cut patterns of materials from floor plan view to wall sections to elevation view. We now only have 2 options surface pattern and cut pattern. What I am thinking of is the brick pattern, we show floor plan views as a 45d diagonal line and wall sections as actual brick coursing. Revit now only has 2 choices a variable surface pattern like elevation coursing or a single cut pattern of diagonal lines. How are other firms dealing with this? Is it possible to turn a visibility option off in one view of a material and have it show as another pattern in a different view. We show all brick and block coursing in a wall section is there a work around? I have found out in a floor plan view I can use cut pattern for the brick and a 2d component in the wall for the CMU layout (thats right we draw every CMU) and show where they have to be cut. With Revit in the wall section the brick is 45d diagonal lines and the CMU is 45d lines and -45d lines. We need to have a 3rd option with the patterns of materials, surface, cut horizontal and cut vertical would this option be in the 2009 release?

All AUGI, all the time eddy.lermytte's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Material Surface Pattern/Cut Pattern Accuracy

James
    Good Question !
    "Do we need to have a 3rd option with the patterns of materials, surface, cut horizontal and cut vertical " ?
    While I am detailing I can certainly say .... Yes,
    In other cases I say " I don't care, it's good the way it is"

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Its not possible, and on top of it cut plan view are only drafting pattern.
    I suggest you build some repeating detail to use for section view. As for plan view, im not sure why you would need that but you can still use repeating details

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You could look at using 'coarse' view overides.......so on your plans have the view set as 'course' with diagonal lines (or whatever - setup in the wall type) and in your sections have the view setup as 'medium or detail' with the correct model pattern sorted out...

Be careful thou, this will limit other uses for coarse/medium/fine detail stuff

Sorry!!!! this doesnt work, I just tried it. The 'cut' pattern cant be a model pattern

I could stop if I wanted to Archman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can get most of the way where you want by using a filer in your sections to override the cut pattern of certain filtered walls to be an overidden fill pattern. However, you cannot have a model pattern as a cut pattern, so it is imposible to have accurate coursing in a sectional view.

If we were allowed to use model patterns as cut patterns, I think we would be able to do what you describe.

Right now, as a workaround, I use line based detail components to represent the masonry coursing in wall sections.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

One of the limitations of the overrides is that they only affect things at the object level not the material level. So you can change the appearance of the wall but not the brick in the wall. The only workaround for that is to construct your brick veneer as a separate wall.

For the time being I'd use repeating details. To avoid redoing this work I wouldn't bother with the detail copmonents until the last moment when the project has settled down. Just be sure to let the principals that it can happen quickly.
    Good luck with the transition.